The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 14 May 2024 06:11 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: My two
PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2014 03:53 PM 
Power Chorder

Third attempt ( highly time consuming ) to get some pics into this post!!! This is my Av325 bought bare with 2 MMK pups 51 63 .

until I'm sure that this works I don't feel like writing much! Mind you this one is probably identical to all others any way! Here goes (again )

Post subject: Re: My two
PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2014 03:57 PM 
Power Chorder

Half a success , only one photo got through customs! Try , try again
Full view.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2014 04:00 PM 
Power Chorder

Why that photo is visible without moving G-- only knows. Sorry, I've got other things to do this evening, so the other photos can wait.
Hope you enjoy these 2!

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014 01:00 AM 
Virtuoso

Is that a re finish? Looks pretty!!

You're saying the Pickups are an MMK 53 and an MMK 61? I think, if thats the case, that your guitar has been modded as the 53s are normally found in the active electronic models and the 61s seem to be found in the semi solids!! The Avengers I've had anything to do with have MMK 45s aboard....

So.... how does sound? Do you like it to play?

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014 11:43 AM 
Virtuoso

If that's a resto it's a really nice job on the finish!
(Not too crazy about the red knobs though :P )
Did you use something like a Tung Oil there? I did on an AV310 and it worked out very nicely and maintained the transparency to show off the grain.

I have 2 of these critters, one in the red trans finish (see current Avatar right)., and they're great guitars! As Corsair says though, they normally are seen with MMK45 pickups. I'm interested to hear what you think of the sound with the '53 and '61 in her.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014 04:26 PM 
Power Chorder

In reply to your remarks

I've no idea if the guitar has been refinished, I saw it for sale on the net as you see it and really went for the colour, transparent somewhere between red and pink and a giveaway price. Once I'd bought it ( bare - no pups , no tuners , no nothings except a black plastic back cover ) the seller came back to me with the 2 pickups at a VERY, VERY reasonable price. Quite frankly I would have bought it whatever the name on the machine head , but I was very pleased to own a Vantage again. The neck is without a doubt the most comfortable neck I've ever played ( I'm a mediocre guitarist but I know comfort when I feel it ) and the sounds of these splittable pups are fabulous to my ageing ears. All in all it's flown up to the top of my personal guitar hit parade if you see what I mean. And I love the red buttons!!! Looking for a red selector switch to match - again , sorry to the purists!
One thing I don't like (and that goes for a lot of guitars of a lot of different makes ) is to see guitars in fabulous finishes but with miserable black plasic cavity covers on the back . I've already made a new cover out of thin 5ply wood painted red ( not exactly the same colour but I'm trying mixes to find it ) Again I can hear the purists howling!!!

Thanks for your interest

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014 05:31 PM 
Virtuoso

Ahh... good story!!

No, mate... no-one in here will have a coronary about you personalising your guitar; we all do it, to a lesser or greater degree!!

Red switch tip? Just dip the one you've got in red paint after giving it a quick scuff with wet and dry!!

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014 05:48 PM 
Virtuoso

johneko wrote:
...The neck is without a doubt the most comfortable neck I've ever played ( I'm a mediocre guitarist but I know comfort when I feel it ) ...
Yup, great necks and a great line of guitars generally.

BUT, you must also get a Westone Spectrum if you love a comfortable neck. I reckon that they're one of the best to come out of the Mats factory...and on an "entry" level series too! I may be a tad prejudice though, I have 6 of 'em! :rofl: