The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 04:44 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aria Pro II PE-150
PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr 2014 03:33 AM 
Virtuoso

If the intonation is within coo-ee, I'd just let it be; I've yet to meet a guitar - apart from the real top-end stuff - that'll intonate perfectly without being seriously leaned on, and part of the attraction of these old things is that they're NOT perfect, but the right tool for the job!!

And put a bloody wound G back on it, ya wimp!! :D

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr 2014 08:21 AM 
Virtuoso

Corsair wrote:
If the intonation is within coo-ee, I'd just let it be; I've yet to meet a guitar - apart from the real top-end stuff - that'll intonate perfectly without being seriously leaned on, and part of the attraction of these old things is that they're NOT perfect, but the right tool for the job!!
And put a bloody wound G back on it, ya wimp!! :D

True 'nuff. Especially when you look at guitars like the "vintage" (non-compensated, tandum) Telecaster saddle design. No way in Hades are ya gonna make the G string play nicely with the rest of the class. But that never deterred the great (insert favourite player here) from picking the dickens out of it!

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr 2014 10:46 AM 
Virtuoso

Nice find. I am with Corsair in that I think you should try a wound G. You may like it and its not like you don't have other guitars to play when it doesn't suit things :D If not both pigtail and tone-pro make nice wraparound bridges. BTW the original Gibs*n bridge wouldn't intonate a lot of the time even with a wound G.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun 2014 03:49 PM 
Virtuoso

Aha. Just now saw this, what a sweetheart! I just love DC juniors, but never see the APII versions come up for sale over here. ( They must be "rare".) Light and w/p90's to boot? Sign me up!

Sorry no recomendations from me as far as replacement bridge, I know they have 'em at Stew Mac and there are indeed pricy.

( ya know, if the intonation is just too much to deal with, you can always send it on over to me... :lol: )

Sudden urge to play" Personality Crisis" taking over.....

G

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun 2014 10:16 PM 
Virtuoso

Gribb59 wrote:

Sudden urge to play" Personality Crisis" taking over.....

G

Well if you got it while it was hot :D

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun 2014 07:50 PM 
Virtuoso

:D

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2014 08:01 AM 
Virtuoso

Sounds like you need an adjustable wrap around. There's quite a few out there. I have no experience with bridges that don't adjust (except my acoustics). Is the stud spacing or the diameter of the studs going to be an issue?

PostPosted: Wed 03 Sep 2014 04:11 PM 
Virtuoso

Having had the PE-150 around for a while...couldn´t for the life of me take to heart why i don´t use it more than i do.?
It is in every respect a formidable guitar!

Been my "sofa" axe for quite a while,and it is resonant..easy to play and sounds fantastic. So? Why don´t i use it more than i do?

Well.
Right now we´re pulling a sorts of "AC/DC project" off. Singer,Roffe,is one of the best there is at it in Europe...and having a past with the half reknown old band of his "Powerage".
Ok. So.
I´m the lone guitarist in the band right,and we´ve got this gig coming up sept 27th...all good.

As some of you know i just put together this old Hohner MH-25 amp,and the EF-86 channel of it is nothing short of liquid gold. Thus far i´ve used the PE-NS and a Gretsch 5120 that i´ve modded the living junk out of.
Don´t own a SG anymore,and don´t care to.
Closest thing is...the PE-150 right.

So. Brought this fantastic guitar to band rehearsal today...plugged it in and went... what the heck? Axe fell COMPLETELY on its face! All that lovely "roar" of the Hohner was just gone!
what the heck?

So. About an hr before the rest of the guys showed up i decided to rip the stock dogear P90 out of there and replace it,just...i didn´t have any other dogears around.
Had an early -90s Gibby regular P90 tho...

So. Apart the stock pup came. Replaced the baseplate of the Gibby pup with the one from the Aria pup...hooked the axe to my Line6 G-50 and turned it up....and...DAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUM! :no: :no:

I was like ???????

A simple pup swap made this into a ROARING beast! :hyper: :hyper:
NOW i´m gettin it! All of them lovely qualitys of the axe were all of a sudden let to shine,and out the other end came..primo rocknroll!

I got the answer to why i haven´t been using the axe...and i´ll put it like this,after the pup change that is gonna change. For real.
This is now a top notch,top shelf,rocknroll axe. No..no... it is THE rocknroll axe.
Period.

ALL of the boys went smiling...like fools. Me,i just stood there. Surprised,looking like a fool. :loon:

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep 2014 07:59 AM 
Virtuoso

Sound clips or it didn't happen :D

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep 2014 02:30 PM 
Virtuoso

Your wish....my command... :rofl:

Nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGjjh8yvfwQ

Just me foolin around with that PE-150 and the Hohner MH-25 in case..