The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 25 Apr 2024 04:05 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb 2016 11:40 PM 
Virtuoso

So... there I was contemplating a tournament in Toowoomba when Don invited me to stay at his gaff and compete whilst having a catch-up; what was I to do?!

In between croquet games we fiddled about with some of these...

l-r on stands, VA30, VA900, VA912, VA900. l-r in front, VA900, VA900B. Where and when are we going to see any collection like this again?! C'mon, all you peeps with collections of nice Matts... get 'em out and show us!!

whilst having a quiet ale or 54. Which would explain why Don thought that this was a good photo opportunity.. :rofl:

Anyway, they are, without doubt, some of the finest instruments you will ever see. Most still have the OEM cases...

... and here you can see what continuous touring does to a factory case, and why flight cases are a necessary evil...

That's mine on the top which is very very tatty now, and the sides are separating from the top and bottom. Served me well, though!

Now... the lad has a nice wee collection of amplifiers and we spent a pleasant hour or two making up a very basic patch bay, which works very well, thanks very much!

and these are the amps we played with...

Of special note is the KLD which our very own Racing had a hand in fine tuning, and the Dynacord PA with the 8 speaker cabs on the top row; crazy, eh?! We didn't, however, use that as it has a dead channel but we used the rest. And look what we had to test the patch bay out with; Don's newest acquisitions; an APII PE150 and an APII PE-Supra... much yumminess!

The Supra is a superb instrument, just mega! But. And, like Don's, it's a very BIG but(t), it is biblically heavy - 4.8kg on the bathroom scales and I'm dead-set sure I wouldn't want that around my neck for a 3 hour gig! That said, the finish and fit are epic with a carved top and back, and the cavity covers are compound carved with an attention to detail that beggars belief; one of the Uncles absolute finest! We didn't lift the pups - Don can do that when he does a string change - but they work rather well! The miserable git wouldn't let me light the fires and gain and volume were kept sane; this seems a litttle polite, for lack of a better term; certainly it doesn't seem to have the 'cutting through' ability of our next victim, the APII PE 150 LP Junior double cut!!

I want this.

I so very nearly pinched it when his back was turned because it is a monster. Those P90s have a dimension that was hither-to unknown to me and I think the previous owner has made some hot-rod adjustments to it, but, oh, hell; what a beast!! Easy to play - action and fit pretty good out of the box, as it were - with sounds to rip yer nuts off! Fabulous sound and overdrives at the drop of a very small hat; rude as!! Lovely, lovely piece of kit and one that I prefer to the Supra simply because I feel could play the 150 all night which would not be the case with the Supra, superbly excellent though it is.

Your reviewer, giving the photographer - the owner - the evils... :D Not really; a great time was had - thanks, bro!! - and I know at some stage, that 150 will reside with me!

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb 2016 03:12 AM 
Virtuoso

Thanks for the assistance and the review bloke. :thumbsup:
I must admit I had a fat weekend getting all of this sorted out :)
You are welcome back any time (as long as I get enough notice to give me time to hide the 150 before you arrive) :D

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb 2016 12:48 PM 
Virtuoso

Youse guys is having way too much fun in the sun!
I love the fact that you can set up all this gear in an out-building/garage. Try that in Ontario and see where it gets you in February!

Don, those are some serious bloody instruments you have there. I'd be hard pressed to know which one to swipe when your back was turned! I love the two new additions. The APII PE-Supra is the one you'd take to the Prom, all beautiful and virginal looking and singing like an angel.

But the APII PE150!! That's the one you want for your naughty weekend. :devil2:

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb 2016 02:16 PM 
Virtuoso

Barry wrote:
Youse guys is having way too much fun in the sun!
I love the fact that you can set up all this gear in an out-building/garage. Try that in Ontario and see where it gets you in February!

Don, those are some serious bloody instruments you have there. I'd be hard pressed to know which one to swipe when your back was turned! I love the two new additions. The APII PE-Supra is the one you'd take to the Prom, all beautiful and virginal looking and singing like an angel.

But the APII PE150!! That's the one you want for your naughty weekend. :devil2:

The naughty red one would be the one to take to the prom Barry.
Just to shock the sh!t out of the teachers :)

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb 2016 08:19 AM 
Virtuoso

Happy you like them. I'm glad you've made an excellent new home for them. I know they are appreciated and will be cared for well.

The Classic Power pickups were never gain happy. I originally had a hard to find matched neck and bridge Distortion Plus pickups set in it which put out a really sweet creamy sound. The guitar IS all original including pickups. Hang on to it, you'll not easily find another and definitely not at that price.

Yes, I did a little modding on the 150. The pickups are triple dipped and instead of normal are opposed to each other like a strat bridge/neck and middle pickup. Clean it can get quite a squawk with the volumes both partially open. IIRC I also added the tone mod.

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb 2016 10:36 AM 
Virtuoso

Ohhhhh..... Nice instruments guys!!! :love: :love: :love:

Great line up !

Wish I could take mine out but all stored at the moment due to renovations... but soon.... very soon... :wink:

Glad to see the old gang still up ans playing.

Cheers ! :up:

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb 2016 02:49 AM 
Virtuoso

Crusty wrote:
The Classic Power pickups were never gain happy.

I actually use Seymour Duncan pickups in my favourite Supra. Somehow the Classic Power are not really working for me when the guitar has a lot of mass (more than 4.5kg).

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb 2016 08:26 AM 
Virtuoso

Frenchy wrote:

Great line up !

Wish I could take mine out but all stored at the moment due to renovations... but soon.... very soon... :wink:

Welcome home mate :) long time no see.
Wutz wrote:
Crusty wrote:

I actually use Seymour Duncan pickups in my favourite Supra. Somehow the Classic Power are not really working for me when the guitar has a lot of mass (more than 4.5kg).

They do seem to be a touch on the tame side.

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb 2016 08:38 AM 
Virtuoso

eyebulger wrote:
Welcome home mate long time no see.

Great to be back and see every body doing fine and all ! but have to watch out... Music is a drug and I really need to finish my renovations ! so this site is Dangerous for my MAA ! :o

The wife wasnt looking so ... :wink:

Fun catching up on things and gear...

Cheers Don ! :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb 2016 06:48 PM 
Virtuoso

eyebulger wrote:
Frenchy wrote:

Great line up !

Welcome home mate :) long time no see.
Wutz wrote:
Crusty wrote:

They do seem to be a touch on the tame side.

I did say they didn't lend themselves to crunch very well. I also had Duncans in it. Dunno if they make them any more but I had a matched bridge and neck set of distortion plus pickups in it. They definitely woke the guitar up. Thick and creamy, Think Boston or Montrose.