The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sat 27 Apr 2024 10:48 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: ES-500VS just unpacked
PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:32 PM 
Virtuoso

As things usually happen when one least expects, a LONG searched for Matty popped up on that market site and I KNEW that I'd have to jump on it. Price was over anything I was willing to shell out but with a "make offer" clause, so I kept tabs on it. Sure enough, the "buy now" price dropped to where I thought I might have a chance - two tries and the second one was accepted (was still a bit over my "comfort zone".

Familiar phrase - "Dam* the torpedoes, full speed ahead" or, GOTTAHAVEIT!!! :hyper: :love:

The axe itself is in VERY good condition, no cracked or loose bindings, no major scratches and zero cracks. Gold plating on the pickup covers and tuners is well worn and the frets seem to have very little wear - a bit strange considering the plating wear. It IS missing the pick-guard, and I hope to find an original. The biggest issue is that whoever set the guitar up must not have known jack-diddely about what he/she was doing, as the intonation is WAY off and the action too high. I'd normally do the job myself, but the shop that I frequent does excellent work for a very reasonable price. Needs new strings also. I'm also suspicious about the way the blades on the bridge are set up.

I haven't plugged it in yet (due to the intonation issue), but just MIGHT try it out a bit later :roll:

Attachments:
DSCF6454Aa.jpg
DSCF6454Aa.jpg [ 59.35 KiB | Viewed 1265 times ]
DSCF6455Aa.jpg
DSCF6455Aa.jpg [ 76.83 KiB | Viewed 1265 times ]
File comment: Suspect blade orientation
DSCF6456Aa.jpg
DSCF6456Aa.jpg [ 65.13 KiB | Viewed 1265 times ]

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

Last edited by ExFender on Thu 17 Dec 2020 08:14 AM, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2018 03:21 PM 
Virtuoso

Gee, that's pretty!! Great find...

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2018 04:49 PM 
Virtuoso

That is a gorgeous guitar!

Send it to me, I'll set it up for free. . . :devil2:

:rofl:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2018 06:13 PM 
Virtuoso

:rofl:
Plugged it in... Speaker in amp was shot (I loaned it out for a party - lesson learned (again) :x . Fortunately, my bass amp was still functional and just about everything works except the tone selector. Sound gets thru all 6 positions, but only #1 and #2 have any tonal change. The tuners are also shot - every second hit on any string and it needs re-tuning.

I also need a case...

All in all, I'm tickled pink :loon: !

Jorg:
I'd BRING it to you along with my AK (just to assure that I'd get it back :wink: ), but I think the whole thing would be cost prohibitive :D .

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2018 10:48 PM 
Virtuoso

Gorgeous guitar, congrats! :love:

In my experience a varitone circuit switch seldom makes a whole lot of difference to the tone. The guitar would likely be better off without it. Find one position you like and just ignore it.

And before you replace those machine heads, check to make sure that all fastening screws are snug to the head stock, and if there's a screw at the end of the stem make sure it too is snugged up engage the friction washer. That should stop any post "wobbling".

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018 09:27 AM 
Virtuoso

ExFender wrote:
:
Jorg:
I'd BRING it to you along with my AK (just to assure that I'd get it back :wink: ), but I think the whole thing would be cost prohibitive :D .

I'd eventually give it back. Maybe... :rofl:

Or, maybe I'll come see you. I'd love to see Germany.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2018 12:35 PM 
Virtuoso

Thanks for the compliments and tips!

I spent the better part of the afternoon checking things out and working on a decent setup - at least one that will work until I can get new strings (there are 9's on it and I'd prefer 10 hybrids).

The strings were at 4.5mm at the 12th :o with the PU's and bridge screwed up practically as high as they'd go, which, naturally messed up the intonation and tuning. After dropping the bridge and PU's and retuning, all was well (well, almost :wink: ). The strings "work" - the "E" "B" "G" ones are BLACK :barf: ;, and the wound ones are a musty gray, but manoman does the axe sound sweet thru my CRATE bass amp (BX-25). Still created a minor "situation" at 2.5 on the volume :D . Can't wait to plug it into my son's PEAVEY!

Pete

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2018 04:50 AM 
Virtuoso

Small update...
Mechanics appear to be OK. I only have to do a minor re-tune after two or more hours of moderate playing (more like "goofing" as I have to re-train my muscle memory) - generally the "B" string (it's the one in the worst condition). New strings have arrived (11-48) and will get put on today along with complete setup. I also received a case from Thomann today, so the Axe will now be safe from my Granddaughter :lol: .

Pete

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018 04:48 AM 
Virtuoso

I also found two videos, the second one of which best shows the tonal variations by the Varitone switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEKeFwTSQT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFnyMAYqQG4

Pete

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018 10:17 AM 
Virtuoso

Also excellent examples of the differences between the ES and TA models.