The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:46 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018 09:44 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hello Jorg,

I bet you do, but think about the logistics involved. I think it's going to be easier to just to finish my guitarroom.

To Peter: I've seen the prices going up. But it's still possible to got something good, for a reasonable amount of money. I myself keep track of about 5 secondhand sites and sometimes I get lucky. But even with the higher prices, you still get great value for your money. Not with the ridiculous priced ones, but you can't blame them for trying.
I think collecting guitars is a great hobby and as we say where I live: it's always allowed to spend money on a hobby.

Kind regard, Rob

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018 06:35 PM 
Virtuoso

If you keep up with a few places like that, you eventually find some reasonably priced.
I almost pulled the trigger on a Vantage VLP-500 with case for $139 but someone was faster. . . :doh:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018 09:35 PM 
Virtuoso

It helps, too, to have a targeted guitar; I'm at the stage where there is but one I'm actively searching for and no - it's not a Pantera X350, or an APII PE-1500 or any of those "premium" guitars.... rather, it's the more prosaic Electra Phoenix X175JB - or the X145VS - which would complete a rather esoteric set for me!! They were made for one year only, so I may be SOOL but I do check the online auctions a little more frequently than is probably good for me, eh....

That's a nice collection you've got going on there, W2....

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018 02:35 AM 
Axe Slinger

That's why I keep checking daily, afraid of missing out on a good one. Speed is of the essence. I used to buy indiscriminately, but over time I've developed a certain taste for the late 70s/early 80s models and almost anything Vantage and I try to stick to it. But I also got a list and on top of that list is a Vantage VSH-455. And I found a seller for one. I contacted the guy last week, but he needed a little more time, to get used to the idea of letting that guitar go. Totally understandable of course, but hopefully he will sell.
Today I'm going to drive to Germany to buy another APII TA-30. This one is in wine-red and reasonably priced, I just had to have it. So my collection is going to have another nice addition.

Kind regards, Rob.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018 11:21 AM 
Virtuoso

Westtwo wrote:
. . .I just had to have it.

Yup, know the feeling well Rob. :wink:

When you've been infected with Matsumoku GAS: "Might as well face it, you're addicted to love!"

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018 12:57 PM 
Axe Slinger

You know Barry, sometimes I worry and I ask meself: isn't this getting out of hand? But then I take a guitar out of the rack, admire it and play it. A good thing like that will never get out of hand.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018 01:27 PM 
Virtuoso

A VSH-455 is on my list as well. :love:
I don't really consider this "getting out of hand" because of the relative cost. I could be addicted to much more expensive things that just sit in a glass case to be admired.
I can actually enjoy these. :jammin:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018 09:31 PM 
Virtuoso

Ditto on the VSH-455.

I've seen a few here in Southern Ontario but as usual, either too far away or outside of my budget which is just about nil these days. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov 2018 05:29 AM 
Virtuoso

I've played and handled Dons' simply exquisite example of a 455... and still don't want one, though I can see why one would want one as they are particularly pleasing on the eye!!

I think the return curve on the upper bout of the PE and some of the LC series is simply magnificent, and that the headstock shape is one of the most beautiful pieces of industrial design ever...

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov 2018 09:26 AM 
Axe Slinger

The moment I laid eyes on a 455, I thought to myself: wouldn"t it be nice to have one of THOSE. The ones I have seen recently, were on Reverb and I'm still a little bit apprehensive about buying a guitar without seeing it in person. And American sellers are not always willing to ship across the ocean. Here in Europe I have only seen once or twice and the were either too far away, too expensive or gone the next day.
But I can also see the beauty of the more "humble" models like a Vantage VS-600 or APII CS-350. They still call me to touch them, to feel them, to play them.

It's the same with the beauty I bought yesterday.

Attachment:
TA-30a.jpg
TA-30a.jpg [ 102.58 KiB | Viewed 799 times ]

Attachment:
TA-30b.jpg
TA-30b.jpg [ 91.05 KiB | Viewed 799 times ]

Attachment:
TA-30c.jpg
TA-30c.jpg [ 66.06 KiB | Viewed 799 times ]

As you can see it's a 1986 TA-30 in wine-red. A previous owner changed the bridge en changed the nut. The nut change was done sloppy (the visible traces of glue gave it away) and he cut a little piece of the trustrod cover to make it fit. But that's fixable and on the plus side the finish is still very good and all the electronics work.

That makes me a happy man.