The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:44 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: New additions
PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2019 05:37 AM 
Axe Slinger

Wutz wrote:
The original pickups in the FS would have been quite bright sounding. If you want to go for something sounding halfway original, try a set of Seymour Duncan SH-2 (or something similar from another manufacturer).

Thanks for the input, Wutz. I have been looking at replacement pickups on the Seymour Duncan site. I had narrowed down the choice between a set of Seth Lovers or a set of Alnico 2 Pro HB. But that was untill I remembered that a guy, from whom I bought some guitars from in the past, had a set of humbuckers from a Vantage VP-750 for sale. If the are the same as on mine Ghost (neck/bridge 8.0 Ω/8.3kΩ), I think they will do quit nicely. But to muddle my choice further, this week somebody put a set of zebra mmk 75's up for sale. The price difference between the two isn't that much and they are still cheaper than either Seymour Duncans. So I think I"m gonna go with the mmk 75's and keep the vp-750 as plan B.

Pete, thanks for the trouble, but I think that mmk 45's are going to be a little to hot for the guitar.

I like to thank you for your insights and trouble and I will keep you posted on the progress.

Rob

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2019 05:52 PM 
Virtuoso

Didn't the PE-R80 come with MMK75s?
It's been a while since I owned one but if I remember correctly, they're hotter than 45s.
That's why I prefer the PE-R60 because it has 53s.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2019 08:53 AM 
Virtuoso

Jorg wrote:
Didn't the PE-R80 come with MMK75s?
It's been a while since I owned one but if I remember correctly, they're hotter than 45s.
That's why I prefer the PE-R60 because it has 53s.

The standard pickups in the PE-R80 would be less hot, then what's stock on a PE-60... that is unless you got a PE-R80D.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2019 01:18 PM 
Virtuoso

Interesting, I could have sworn the R80 was hotter. But then, its been 25 years. . . :doh:

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2019 02:30 PM 
Axe Slinger

Hi guys,

I just did a quick measurement of the mmk 75's in my Westone Rainbow. They measure 8.3kOhm/8.8kOhm (neck/bridge). Still a way below the average 11kOhm+ I usually measure on mmk 45's.

Rob.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2019 05:11 PM 
Virtuoso

The ohm reading never tells the whole story, it's a measure of resistance, not output. You should find the 75's to be clean and clear with plenty of omph. But they're not pups you'd normally use for rock.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:26 PM 
Virtuoso

Perhaps that's what I didn't like about them. I just remember I loved the guitar but not the sound.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr 2019 06:33 AM 
Virtuoso

If you still haven't found any replacement that makes you happy with the sound of th FS I might be able to share some experience.
I have both the FS-750 and the FS-1000. The FS-1000 was my first guitar and I adored it from the first glimpse and knew I had to have it. It is still one of my favourites and I never will part from it.... but, to be honest, the original pickups are not rock´n roll. Not at all. At that time it was my only guitar and I started experimenting with pickups. I have used SD Jeff Beck and Jazz, Dimarzio Super Distorsion, PAF, Humbucker From Hell and Bluesbucker. Probably some more... At one stage I bought a set of EMG. An 85 for the bridge and a 60A (as in alnico) for the neck. They have stayed in the guitar.
At this stage I feel I need to explain myself a bit.
I really hate the most common EMG combination, the 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. For me this is the sound of lousy metal. Not my cup of tea at all. But if you have a closer look at the 85, EMG claimes it is a hot rodded PAF. The specs are with Alnico5 bars and actually, the pickup itself is really not that hot, it has a lot of string definition and harmonics. I decided to give it a try (as nothing I've trised before was success), then I had to pair it with something. The reason for the 60A was by reading on their website. I like the idea of a pretty clear, close to single coil type of neck pickup and a humbucker in the bridge. Not so much gain and beautiful clear tones in the neck, a bit like a jazzmaster. So the specs of the 60A did sound right.
I do feed them with 18V to get better dynamics.At the same time I think they also got a bit warmer sounding.
For me this has changed my opinion from never EMG to, yes under the right conditions...
My advice before changing pickups: Check what you got in the bridge and the neck, if 85 in both positions, fine. If the "classic" metal setup 81/85, switch position for the 85 in the bridge, it will be better. Feed them with 18V and see what you think. You might like it.

And for all you others thinking I'm a moron... I got all the original parts safe in a box, ready to switch back a day.

Oh, yes! I've also done some experimenting with my FS-750. I have tried GFS Dream90, a fantastic pickup like a P94 or a Phat Cat, in it. Not bad at all, but today the originals are back. Very clean with an unique tone.
So this is my 2nd advice if you not find the originals.
The originals could be find in a few other AP's, but very few and all of them top notch. I have them in my 12-string and in the double neck.

PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2019 09:06 AM 
Virtuoso

For a FS-1000 you should keep in mind that your replacement pickups need to have a separate ground wire. Otherwise the preamp in the guitar will not work. Actually I like the original pickups in the guitar...