The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 03:28 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: FS-750
PostPosted: Mon 15 Jul 2019 10:23 AM 
Virtuoso

Did some clean-up - 20 years dust out of the bridge and around the PU's. Got a good look at the Axe in daylight and found a couple more dings on the top, but nothing to really complain about considering the twenty years in the corner. Plugged it into the first amp that I stumbled across - my CRATE bass amp (I was too lazy to go across the room and drag my Peavey Backstage over to my seat :wink: ). Got the intonation pretty well nailed, but getting it RIGHT will have to wait till I get new strings.

Figuring out the switch settings took a bit... When the selector is in the mid position, and one of the V pots is turned to Zero, nothing goes thru, even when the other is full "on". Both have to be approx in the "mid" setting before anything happens.

"Played" for about an hour - till the fingers hurt :jammin: :freaksmile:

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jul 2019 02:08 PM 
Virtuoso

Sounds like you're having fun Pete! :clap:

The control setup you describe sounds like a traditional Gibson layout.
My ES330 operates the same way and I think you'll find most "vintage" Les Pauls and clones follow it as well. You can always rewire to make your life easier, but where's the fun in that? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jul 2019 07:12 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hello Pete,

That's a very nice guitar. I have seen that same guitar on eBay Kleinanzeigen and for a variety of reasons decided to wait to make an offer. The most important reason being that I bought one myself not so long ago. Although it's not nearly so complete and original as yours, for which I envy you. Others reasons where the distance (a 6 hours one way trip) and the asking price. I paid around the same for my FS-750 and it's worth it, but even I can spend my money only once.
Have fun with yours, they don't make them like that anymore.

Rob.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jul 2019 08:38 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi Rob,
I check EKA on a daily basis :D . I contacted the guy as soon as I saw the guitar about reserving it as I was expecting a utilities reimbursement. The problem was that the cash was not to be available for at least two weeks and he didn't want to reserve it. I got the cash earlier than expected and my neighbor drove me over (only 20 Kilometers from home).

Whern I saw the thing in the "wood", I realized that there was very little bargaining room, and when he plugged it in... well, I really didn't bother. He did drop the price a bit due to the VB (Verhandlungs Basis) and the missing knob.

The weight is the only "negative" - if one wants to call it that.

I'm putting on Gibson style amber "Speed Knobs" on it as soon as they get here.

Pete

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jul 2019 09:03 AM 
Virtuoso

ExFender wrote:
...I'm putting on Gibson style amber "Speed Knobs" on it as soon as they get here.

I think the amber colour will look a lot nicer. :up:
I would be inclined to use Bell style knobs rather than Speed style though. They fit the guitar model better IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jul 2019 11:59 AM 
Virtuoso

The amber knobs will probably fall into my mailbox first (tomorrow) since I ordered them locally, but I also ordered a clear set with an abalone insert from China (couldn't resist the price :D ) which, as fate would have it, will prolly also arrive tomorrow (ordered the same day) :o .

ImageAmber_knobs by staubkorb, auf Flickr, ImageClear_knobs by staubkorb, auf Flickr

Pete

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2019 10:40 AM 
Virtuoso

Both sets of knobs have arrived, the Chinese ones yesterday and the locally procured ones today (go figure...?). All fit and the quality is good. The clear Chinese one are on the guitar now and will probably stay as I can "read" the numbers easier - The amber ones are actually nicer, but too dare to be able to see the numbering unless the lighting is from the right direction.

The clear ones also fit closer to the body of the guitar.

ImageDSCF6514a by staubkorb, auf Flickr
ImageDSCF6513a by staubkorb, auf Flickr

Pete

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2019 03:05 PM 
Axe Slinger

Hello Pete,

It doesn't matter what kind of knobs you will end up with, it will always be a stunning guitar. I wish I had more time to start on my FS, but the first project on my list is putting some MMK-53's in a Westone Prestige 150. It didn't have the MMK-75's, when I bought it, but luckily I was able to buy a cheap non-Matsumoku LP copy, which had the chrome covered 53's.
If you ever want to sell the black knobs from your FS, I still have a couple guitars which could use them :D . (If I where you, I would keep them. Your collection will probably grow in the future, and you never know when they would come in handy.)

Regards, Rob.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul 2019 09:10 AM 
Virtuoso

Those clear knobs look good. I have a set on my Vantage AV-310 and I like them a lot.

When you said "amber" I was thinking more of the lighter gold colour which I think would match better. (Another reason for my suggesting the bell design knobs is because they're easier to read. :wink: )

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul 2019 10:52 AM 
Virtuoso

Yeah... the better description would have been "dark amber" in the ad. They pass better to my TA and ES, but they have the black "Witch Hats" that are still like new. I'll keep them for now and swap them on the TA and ES for giggles and to confuse those that see (or even notice) them :D .

Westtwo: Jorg has already claimed the knobs if I decide to part with them (I will be looking for an original since I do like to keep my equipment as original as possible). On a side note, are you in the Netherlands?

Pete