The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 16 May 2024 04:29 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Tue 05 May 2009 12:37 AM 
Axe Slinger

Warning - a bit of overt bragging below.

Treasures...This includes my latest acquisition, an '86 Westone x-70 - really an unusual beast. I picked it up on the day of this post, and have played it through my Marshall (unique and likeable tone), but haven't had much time to go through it. Some of the parts (volume pot) are non-original, and the machine heads are loosey - goosey - but everything works and its set up to play. Need some advice on R and R for these old-style tuners - any clues?? Very cool maple neck, fun to play! :hyper:

The acoustic is a 1974 "blue tag" Epiphone FT-130 Caballero with a bolt-on neck. MIJ, Matsumoku. This was given to my wife from her parents circa 1974. I dug it out of the basement a couple of days ago and changed the strings. Its a beautiful sounding guitar with one of the best necks I've seen on an acoustic. Its not as bright as my Takemine, but is much more fun to play. Big sound from a small acoustic. One of my favourite instruments.

The other is a lost soul...I have dubbed it "The Mule" after the famous telepathic character in Asimov's Foundation series - the willful evil dude. Anyway it seems to have the great "Mats" neck found on the Avenger line - but the electronics have been remodeled at some point in its chequered past. What can I say? "TV Yellow" - a 50's color designed for B/W TV glare - just grows on a guy. Pluses include the functional Gotoh tuners - small adjustment and a couple of nylon gaskets and it holds tune forever. For now the Mule wears a Dimarzio pup at the bridge - its OK, but I have a '59 Duncan for the neck and a C5 for the bridge - until I can find the right set of MMKs for Mule.

If anyone has a pair of MMKs f/s let me know, thanks.

Treasure not included - circa 1978 Onyx (Japanese built for the Aussie market) - probably not a Mats, but a Yamaki. Found a cool stamp of builder in the neck pup recess. Will post pic later. Nice "Japanese Wing" style guitar - neck through body design.