The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 29 Apr 2024 08:59 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Another '82 PE-R80
PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012 10:59 AM 
Axe Slinger

RSBBass wrote:
I like my Traynor 15W. They can be had pretty cheap if you keep an eye out. even new they are not that bad. For old school, keep an eye out for Univox amps. The tube ones can be nice though some of the speakers leave a bit to be desired.

Any thoughts on the Traynor YCV20WR? Is this the model you have? It seems to be well regarded for blues and classic rock, which would suit me fine.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 09:29 PM 
Axe Slinger

Just a quick update on the amp. I found the Traynor YCV20WR mentioned above for a decent price - $320 in as-new condition. The circumstances were right for the purchase, so i went with it. So far it's great. I like it better than the stock Blues Jr. Opinions tend to be very polarized on the Celestion speakers. This particular amp's got an 80's vintage G12M-70. It sounds fine to me. Anyway, thanks for all the input! I wouldn't have considered the Traynor otherwise and I'm real happy with it. :up:

:thanks:

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 09:43 PM 
Virtuoso

:up: Good to hear. It's pretty hard to go wrong on a Traynor, really greta amps IMO and definitely better than a Blues Jr.

Rock On :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 10:16 PM 
Virtuoso

Gribb59 wrote:
:up: Good to hear. It's pretty hard to go wrong on a Traynor, really greta amps IMO and definitely better than a Blues Jr.

+1

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2012 07:56 AM 
Virtuoso

Glad you like it. When I first got the amp I had a hard time dialing it in. So I thought about changing speakers as there is much talk about the benefits on the web. Then things clicked and I now see no reason to change it. The only complaint I have is the reverb. Anything over two and you in sci-fi land for sound.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2012 03:02 PM 
Axe Slinger

RSBBass wrote:
Glad you like it. When I first got the amp I had a hard time dialing it in. So I thought about changing speakers as there is much talk about the benefits on the web. Then things clicked and I now see no reason to change it. The only complaint I have is the reverb. Anything over two and you in sci-fi land for sound.

The reverb seems to be a weakness on many of the small combos. 4 is the max for me - it gives a nice surf vibe. 8-) Beyond that, I agree, it starts getting weird.