The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 19 Apr 2024 12:15 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug 2006 02:42 PM 
Power Chorder

Guys,

I bought one of the first PE1000 (masterpiece prototype) models available in the UK. The first ads looked so cool against the US Gibsons of the day and the price was affordable. However, this fine guitar was conceived and born in an era when sustain and pickup output volume were believed to be the main desirable qualities - accordingly it came fitted with a monsterously heavy single-piece (Noble) bridge and Aria’s 15 k ohm ceramic magnet pickups. These may have enabled it to provide good volume and sustain in physics lab type experiments but to my ears it sounded just loud and unsubtle. Having gigged for a while I concluded it was a great player - absolutely dependable with tuning and a really powerful guitar but just totally lacking in harmonic character. In my opinion, this is why these guitars have never achieved the true status they deserve – Andy Summers (The Police), who first endorsed it, returned to his Fender Tele immediately after an initial promo video and as far as I am aware no other celeb. guitarist has used one as their main instrument since (?).

The truth is that these historical Aria guitars represent a great original design and were beautifully made from solid maple - but if you ask any guitar designer/builder today they will tell you that the last thing you would put on a heavy solid maple (body and neck) guitar are high output ceramic pickups and a heavy metal bridge.

So here’s a solution that helps bring out the guitars true character - I was pleased with the result on mine.

1) Replace the pickups with more subtle PAF style humbuckers (i.e. Alnico magnets, ~7.5 kohm coils). There are loads to choose from and I wouldn’t want to get into a debate here on which is best etc. – any are probably better for this guitar than the Protomatic 1 (PE1000) or deMarzio Super Distortion pickups (PE 1500) fitted.

2) Replace the bridge with a lighter Gibson-type, compensated, wrapover-style unit – the posts must be metric but the locating slots in the bridge will line up with them when located in the original threads of the guitar (as mine did). I was also lucky to get a bridge from an old Gibson Melody Maker (for next to nothing) and had some metric posts to hand that worked perfectly. The intonation is still adjustable and was spot on. However, there are many very good Gibson bridge clones available from guitar part websites. The bridge replacement not only sounds great but looks a hell of a lot better and also increases the string spacing of the original that is a bit compressed in the higher neck register

3) While you are at it why not also replace the tone/volume knobs with something more appropriate? Those fitted are made of one of the heaviest metals known to man and the last thing these guitars (and the player) need is extra weight! (The combined weight of the fiited bridge and knobs is about ¾ lb).

Finally after all that, its worth ensuring that you keep the original parts. The beauty of the above is that everything is fairly quickly and easily reversible - if you ever sell, the original format could be invaluable to a collector but, sadly, probably not a player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug 2006 06:13 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
Thanks for posting your insight, Rolly - haven't had any experience with the guitar you mention myself, but I've often swapped pickups around in guitars for the exact reasons you mention.

By the way, the bridge in the picture you posted is an older style, compensated for 4 wound strings and 2 unwound strings. I've seen lots of people replace LP Special bridges with these, and never quite get the G strings to intonate correctly in relation to the neighboring strings. I've wanted to look more closely at some of the newer PRS hardtail bridges, as they look to be a nice, shallow, modern version of the one you posted. Here it is, similar to yours but 3W & 3S, and more adjustable:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... piece.html

I've also used this Schaller style:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... piece.html

...and this BadAss style:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... ridge.html

...and I'm pretty sure I have at least a few of these lying around which are closer to the style you showed:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... ridge.html

je

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug 2006 07:29 AM 
Power Chorder

You are right there Squid Head - the G string saddle is not optimum for a plain 3rd on this kind of bridge (same as LP Junior in your last pic). I fitted it because it was available and then stuck with it because I liked its sound and simple style that seemed to suit this guitar. Guess the first one you list would be best compromise (for me anyway) between intonation and aesthetic appeal.

All the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug 2006 10:06 AM 
Virtuoso

I have the Schaller bridge on one of my guitars... I guess it will not change things a lot from the original bridge on the PE-1000.
The Badass bridge is among my favorites... and PRS and Nik Huber also have wrap around bridges that are fully adjustable but not as heavy (not sure if you can buy those as replacment parts).

I like the Protomatic I pickups and the heavy bridge... if I pickup my PE-1000, it's exactly for getting this endless sustain (if I don't want it, I'll pick another guitar). Actually the Protomatic pickups on my PE-1000 are not as hot as yours. The output is higher than vintage, but stays somewhere in the teritory of a Seymour Duncan SH-1 pickup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug 2006 08:43 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
I've got the Schaller on an L6-S, and the BadAss on a ' 75 LP 55. The stock LP 55 bridge is a non-intonating (other than angle of the entire bridge) wrap-around, which is still on my '74 LP 55. All are viewable here, in varying quality pics:

http://home.earthlink.net/~flyashtray/id3.html

I'll buy one of those PRS bridges one of these days, and give my review.

je

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2007 06:25 AM 
Virtuoso

Rolly wrote:
Guys,

I bought one of the first PE1000 (masterpiece prototype) models available in the UK. The first ads looked so cool against the US Gibsons of the day and the price was affordable. However, this fine guitar was conceived and born in an era when sustain and pickup output volume were believed to be the main desirable qualities - accordingly it came fitted with a monsterously heavy single-piece (Noble) bridge and Aria’s 15 k ohm ceramic magnet pickups. These may have enabled it to provide good volume and sustain in physics lab type experiments but to my ears it sounded just loud and unsubtle. Having gigged for a while I concluded it was a great player - absolutely dependable with tuning and a really powerful guitar but just totally lacking in harmonic character. In my opinion, this is why these guitars have never achieved the true status they deserve – Andy Summers (The Police), who first endorsed it, returned to his Fender Tele immediately after an initial promo video and as far as I am aware no other celeb. guitarist has used one as their main instrument since (?).

The truth is that these historical Aria guitars represent a great original design and were beautifully made from solid maple - but if you ask any guitar designer/builder today they will tell you that the last thing you would put on a heavy solid maple (body and neck) guitar are high output ceramic pickups and a heavy metal bridge.

So here’s a solution that helps bring out the guitars true character - I was pleased with the result on mine.

1) Replace the pickups with more subtle PAF style humbuckers (i.e. Alnico magnets, ~7.5 kohm coils). There are loads to choose from and I wouldn’t want to get into a debate here on which is best etc. – any are probably better for this guitar than the Protomatic 1 (PE1000) or deMarzio Super Distortion pickups (PE 1500) fitted.

2) Replace the bridge with a lighter Gibson-type, compensated, wrapover-style unit – the posts must be metric but the locating slots in the bridge will line up with them when located in the original threads of the guitar (as mine did). I was also lucky to get a bridge from an old Gibson Melody Maker (for next to nothing) and had some metric posts to hand that worked perfectly. The intonation is still adjustable and was spot on. However, there are many very good Gibson bridge clones available from guitar part websites. The bridge replacement not only sounds great but looks a hell of a lot better and also increases the string spacing of the original that is a bit compressed in the higher neck register

3) While you are at it why not also replace the tone/volume knobs with something more appropriate? Those fitted are made of one of the heaviest metals known to man and the last thing these guitars (and the player) need is extra weight! (The combined weight of the fiited bridge and knobs is about ¾ lb).

Finally after all that, its worth ensuring that you keep the original parts. The beauty of the above is that everything is fairly quickly and easily reversible - if you ever sell, the original format could be invaluable to a collector but, sadly, probably not a player.

I just lucked upon this thread and although it is very late I just have to add my support to your comments. I am a PE1000 fan and love the guitars but not a great fan of the pickups. My stock PE1000's have had the 16K very hot proto 1's which I think are Arias version of the DiMarzio Super Distortions. These high output pickups may be fine for some personal tastes/amps/sounds/setups but not for everybody.
Agree with your weight reduction tips too. Those knobs feel like they are plated brass and you can loose 4 ounces for no change in sound. The bridge weighs 6 ounces and although it is quite hefty does adjust well and sound fine. If you need to shed some weight it is an easy step.

Glad to see another PE1000 fan.