The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:59 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2007 09:15 PM 
Gallery Friend

I got a good deal on this one but it had quite a few dings. The body wasn't too bad but he neck had some deep ones along the edge of the fingerboard. I totally stripped the body and removed every single DING!! After that, shot in in satin. I also completely stripped the neck leaving the fingerboard and headstock untouched. In order to remove all the DINGS in the edge of the neck, I ended up "rolling" it, much like a Ric. It's came out great, nice and smooth and I have plenty of room left on the fingerboard to bend the strings if needed. The back of the neck has a nice stripe pattern to it. Not bad for an 80's production bass. I shielded all the cavities. The electronics are dead silent now and the pups sound great. They are the two each or 4 wire type, not sure what that's called........ Not going to touch them. ;)

I made the pickguard in about 20 minutes!! Having a good milling machine makes things fast :) The cream pearl material is from Grizzly.

Next on the list is pimping out the stock nobs ;) I'm going to create pockets in them and inlay more of the pickguard material into the pockets. Then..............a titanium bridge and straplocks. So far, I'm happy as can be. It plays like a dream :bassist: I'm having fun with my Electra's :)

Pre refurb:

90% complete:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2007 12:38 AM 
Virtuoso

Excellent work. It looks better than new.

What did that black label at the bottom of the fret board say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2007 06:53 AM 
Gallery Friend

jbyear1 wrote:
Excellent work. It looks better than new.

What did that black label at the bottom of the fret board say?

Thanks!

It says X-630. It was ready to fall off! It's like a metalized paper and very fragile. I saved it and will try to figure out how to put it back on. This bass looks like it was never played as far as fretwear but was very banged up. I wish I could find creme colored pup covers. Old Dimarzios don't fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug 2007 02:52 AM 
Virtuoso

wow that looks awesome.wish i had the tools and know how to make a pick guard for one of my much loved and dented aria basses.
oh im new too . great site, found out the guitarist in my bands guitar was mad in the same factory as my basses ,arias. he has a vantage.
john

Post subject: Pickgaurds
PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2007 10:30 AM 
Virtuoso

I think there was a thread in the parts wanted or tech discussion section that included a link to someone who custom made pickgaurds.