The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 13 May 2024 09:17 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: TSB-400 Blend Control
PostPosted: Tue 18 May 2010 11:09 AM 
Virtuoso

Seems that folks don't post to this topic much. Matts must be pretty perfect "as is", huh ? :D

At any rate, I think I mentioned the "Goldilocks" issue with my TSB-400 bass, i.e. with either PU selected, the sound wasn't quite what I wanted, and in the middle position, it was just a tad 'blurry" for lack of a better description.

At first, my solution was to replace the 3 way switch with a second volume control, essentially making the wiring like a J Bass. ( 2 V, 1 T).While this worked ok, it didn't seem like there was much effect or tonal change for about 80% of the range of the pot. Close but no cigar.So- Installed a 500 ohm blend pot from Stew-Mac, in place of the second volume control, which no gives me Volume, Blend and Tone.

Honestly, not seeing a great difference in the overall function, that is, for most of the range of the pot, the effect is pretty subtle. Ideally what I would like to hear is a greater difference in tones throughout the full range of travel, but maybe that's just not in the cards for a passive system. Going back to my J, it's pretty much the same deal, so that may be the nature of the beast.

That being said, it does give me the sounds I tend to use most- both pu's on full with just a tad of the neck pu rolled off, or vice versa. Works great in recording situations, and it's nice to be able to dial in the sound I hear in my head.Still getting used to it for live work, however. Have mostly played P basses for 30 years or so, so anything with more than a single volume and tone can be perplexing !

Cheers,
G

PostPosted: Tue 18 May 2010 02:50 PM 
Virtuoso

I blend pot can be a nice mod. Is the sensitivity the same in differnt amps or amp settings?

PostPosted: Tue 18 May 2010 03:15 PM 
Virtuoso

The sensitivity seems to be the same regardless of amps or settings, etc. Like I say, I'm pretty much getting the sound I want from it, was just expecting perhaps a little wider range to play with. Anyone else here have experiences with blend pots they would like to share ?

thanks,
G