The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:08 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun 10 Dec 2017 09:01 AM 
Gallery Friend

Hi,
I acquired this from a local secondhand shop a few days ago.

It's a bit roadworn and someone has done some work on it at various times.

Looking at it in the shop, the string height was silly and overall it just did not seem right somehow, the intonation was obviously off.
When I got it home and started examining it properly - the bridge was fitted backwards so the saddles were being pushed by the angle of the strings down to the tailpiece..

With the bridge turned the right way and set to a reasonable height the intonation is near enough perfect without needing adjustment, the action is fine and the neck has just a trace of relief, again pretty much perfect.

It's had a fairly rough fret level at some time, the frets are flat topped with sanding marks rather than having been crowned and polished. They are still a decent height though, so should clean up OK.
It also appears to have the wrong trussrod cover, with a stray (original?) screw just above the present cover.

It has plastic insulated wire on the pickups and switch. The solder joints on that look bright so fairly fresh compared to the original control joints which are rather tarnished - so someone has done a partial rewire as well.

I've been repairing guitars for many years, purely as a hobby. I've done quite a few re-frets and restored a few cheap scrappers bought from secondhand shops, but as I have absolutely no idea on the value or rarity of this one I'm very wary of doing anything irreversible to this until I get more info.

At least I know what the exact model is now, thanks to Jorg on here. Still no idea on the year though.

Full photos here on my flickr site:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertjenkins/albums/72157690771455015

RJ.

Attachments:
File comment: Aria Pro II PE-110 thumbnail
Aria-Pro-II-PE-110.jpg [95.06 KiB]
Downloaded 146 times
PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec 2017 07:25 PM 
Virtuoso

Honestly, I wouldn't worry. Even if it were in pristine condition, you're not going to get much for it.
This is only because of the name on the headstock.
: /

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec 2017 10:27 AM 
Gallery Friend

Fair enough - I'll start fixing it up!