The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sat 27 Apr 2024 06:33 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar 2009 12:36 PM 
Virtuoso

Cool,..the right color stain could really bring out the wood's grain pattern.

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2009 08:29 AM 
Axe Slinger

Yeah, thats exactly what i'm hoping/thinking too :) As it's been sanded already (though i'd fine-sand it more), it seems like a good plan.
And again, it won't please the purists, but as the pickguard is scratched to buggary, i may try paint it black. That would go nicely with any amber-stained body.

Quote:
For the tone"cap", you can get them at any Radio Shack (2... for $1.19), or a pack of 'em (100 assorted caps) for around $2.00!
If you want a brighted tone, just use a smaller value "cap" (.022,..versus a .047 "normal" cap).

Norm, i misread that till today. I thought you were on about the pickup caps or tone knobs, not the capacitors. Showing my ineptness even more :roll: :lol: Just checked ebay.de and seems i can choose between .022, .033, .047 and .068. I think i'll go for the 47 as the pickups sounded pretty bright at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2009 11:30 AM 
Virtuoso

Quote:
it won't please the purists

I'm sure the purists will understand. Factory fresh can't always be achieved. It's better to make it functional than have it sit in a corner because you can't find "correct" parts or get the original color. That's MY opinion at least. . . :D

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2009 01:37 PM 
Virtuoso

Jorg wrote:
Quote:
it won't please the purists

I'm sure the purists will understand. Factory fresh can't always be achieved. It's better to make it functional than have it sit in a corner because you can't find "correct" parts or get the original color. That's MY opinion at least. . . :D

Yep; function over form every time! :)

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2009 05:14 PM 
Virtuoso

I'm with you guys on that one...Uncle Matts were pretty darn close to perfection, from the factory, but they didn't get everything they way we'd ike it.
Sometimes, we've just gotta add the final touch to male them the way GOD intended :wink: :D
Also, if you wnt something really unique...you could MAKE a pickguard out of clear plexi, then paint it from underneath(or use stained-glass paint), that would look cool as well. Plus, you might want to use a .033 tone"cap"...that'll subdue some of the brightness, but still keep the pickup from losing it's "bite".

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2009 05:56 PM 
Virtuoso

Not bad, not bad at all Tezza :) Guess I'm one of the 'purists' here, but when something's beyond restoration ... There's worse guitars out there that make better wall decorations!

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2009 09:44 PM 
Virtuoso

GD K9 wrote:
Not bad, not bad at all Tezza :) Guess I'm one of the 'purists' here, but when something's beyond restoration ... There's worse guitars out there that make better wall decorations!

You're right...using a guitar like that for that purpose is just WRONG! :x :toopid: I wouldn't do that with ANY guitar (well, maybe a Broken acoustic) :wink: Hell, even $20 Wal-Mart "toy" electrics deserve a better fate than THAT!

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2009 12:36 PM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks peeps. Skylark, that's a very decent idea with the back-stained plexiglas pickguard hmmm, hadnt thought about that.
I feel so hapy to have breathed a bit of life back in this at last . And there's always the chance that someone will see my wanted ad here and come up with some of the old pickups, so i'm making sure i dont go drilling any weird holes and can go back to original state if the parts ever surface :)

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2009 05:02 PM 
Virtuoso

Tezza, I'm not sure where you're from, but if you live in the US...you can get a small shet of "Plexi" for around $3, at Lowes.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr 2009 05:10 AM 
Axe Slinger

In Germany mate, though they're equally as cheap over here. Hell, i think i've even got some of the stuff someone in the house or barn :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next