The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 10:33 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr 2006 05:36 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your information! I knew by now it was definitely an 1803T... so you reckon mine was red or burst?

How do they sound and play when fully working?

EDIT: Ahhh, you mean mine is also sunburst because it would obviously have been sprayed without fittings.... i get it!!!! :D Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr 2006 07:37 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi !

Yes, yours was sunburst. As to the sound of it...it is of course not a "high gain burner" but it has a nice twangy sound. Overall is a very nice guitar and I love the shape of the neck, but the output level is very low.

Oliver !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2006 12:55 AM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks mate.
I just love the shape of it, and yes the neck does feel great and is in great condition for the age which is why i want to push ahead with the restoration. I'll prolly end up doing it red...far too untrained to attempt sunburst! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2006 01:34 PM 
Virtuoso

Here's a great tutorial on an easy way to spray a sunburst. Note that he mentions that you don't need exotic paint, most guitars were painted with auto paint at the factory!

http://projectguitar.com/tut/burst.htm

And here's one at the Reranch site showing how to use the colors for a traditional Fender-style sunburst- but yu could again use auto colors, it wouldnt have to be nitro lacquer:

http://reranch.com/sunburstaerosol.html

I think if you like sunbursts you should totally try it- you've brought this guitar back from the brink of extinction, why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr 2006 01:15 PM 
Axe Slinger

HEy xplayer,

Cool, thanks a lot for those links! I'll best wait to see how brave i'm feeling when i come to that stage! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 10:54 AM 
Axe Slinger

OK, before i let this thing slip any further (and before i move), i have to sort this out, at least the electrics. I'm afraid i'm being a complete dunce despite all your help:

Quote:
Try tinning the ends of the winds letting the solder adhere well to the ends of the winds. You will need this later to attach the short leads anyway so it is not going to hurt anything as long as you are careful

OK, i'm gonna be able to tin the ends of the wires. What i dont understand is what i'm supposed to connect the soldered ends of the thin wires too. Do i insert a small lead between this end and the rest of the electrics, or do i solder (as seemed to be the original case) one of the thin wires to the copper baseplate of the pickup? I cant imagine that being too useful as it would make the whole copper plate "live" surely.

I'm sorry, as you can see i need idiot-proof step by step instructions. IF any of you are patient enough to help me out successfully, i'll give you a virtual mars bar. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 12:13 PM 
Virtuoso

hm, I'm going to say don't attach it to the base plate, use a third wire for that. This gives you a 'floating ground' which is more useful if you have switching which reverses phase on that pickup. And the two wires then connect to signal, and signal ground.

Somebody who works with strat singles can correct me if I'm wrong, that's what I would do with humbuckers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 12:50 PM 
Virtuoso

Most of the strats I've had to wrestle with had cardboard baseplates and the signal ground was a sepearate lead just like signal hot. Maybe that's why they come with built-in 60hz frequency modulators. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 01:33 PM 
Axe Slinger

Arghhh i dont understand :lol:
I speak three languages but dont have a clue what you're all on about! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 02:37 PM 
Virtuoso

Coilineese is an odd language. Sometimes there are no rules. :D

Simply put, no worry about connecting either wind end to the baseplate. Just carefully connect leads to them and remember which is start and which is finish. Make sure to tape them to the coils so they won't get pulled and broken again.

If you can, use a different color lead for start and a different color for finish. That way even if you wire the pickups backwards they'll still all be in phase with each other and you won't end up with weak tinny sound in certain settings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next