The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Wed 17 Apr 2024 08:35 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Memphis MG300 Neck Thru
PostPosted: Wed 10 Jan 2007 12:21 AM 
I recently acquired a Memphis MG300 Neck Thru guitar. I was planning on it being a project but darn I had no idea how much work it really needed. Fortunately I'm not out that much on the purchase. Image You can't tell from the picture but there are lots of dents, deep scratches, and breaks in the laminate. It doesn't look like a relic it just looks like junk. I've spot lacquered some of the deep areas and them buffed it out. Looks a lot better but there is still quite a few problem areas. Being that it is my project guitar I figured why not strip it and redo the guitar in nitro lacquer? I was planning on using a chemical stripper to take off the laminate but I'm not sure if it will work the same on laminate as it does on lacquer based paint. Any advise before I go at it? If you are wondering what other problems there are? Well sprung frets and uneven frets. I can get the frets leveled but I like beefy frets, plus there are places on the fretboard that have been filed. So I might replace the fretboard. The cost of this is half the price of a refret. The guitar came with a Maxon pickup in the neck which is the crappiest sounding pickup I've ever heard and a Dimarzio Super Distortion :). However, I need a strat like sound and will be either rewiring the Super Distortion so it can be coil tapped or replace it as well. So if anyone has any extra MIJ pickups laying around let me know! Thanks

Last edited by Randallflagg on Fri 12 Jan 2007 02:47 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan 2007 04:16 PM 
Power Chorder

Leave that guitar alone. what are you going to do?,play it ?or look at it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan 2007 01:07 AM 
Virtuoso

I'm fairly certain BOTH can be accomplished. Not everyone is into the urban warrior look. :wink2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan 2007 02:46 AM 
Well I decided not to strip it and refinish it, instead I got out the sand paper, buffing compound, and polish. I sanded it from 320 all the way up to wet sand 1500, then used a heavy buffing compound, and finally polished it, this process took most of the deeper scratches out. However, there are still lots of visible spots where the laminate has been dented in but it looks a lot better now. Got the push/pulls installed I just need to get a neck pickup to compliment the Super Distortion. After giving it a setup the guitar is now playable with the action set high but the sprung and uneven frets need to be addressed. The guitar is fun to play but the neck is way to chunky for my taste. I will post some update pictures soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2007 07:18 PM 
Well my Aria Pro II LP is in the shop getting new frets and I finally got this back from having the frets leveled and in some places re-set. Installed a pickup out of a Washburn A-20 which is actually one of the best sounding pickups I've ever played through. I took off the Grovers and they are genuine USA made! Here are some pictures, of my prized guitar and the Memphis.
(and yes that is an ebony fretboard, and mother of pearl inlays :) )