The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Nov 2021 10:38 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: aria 1803T revived.
PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan 2007 08:04 AM 
Virtuoso

bought it a week ago, complete but ugly someone paitned it in hamerite, the neck too so it played awfull.
but for only 40 euro a bargain IMO, getting home and stripping it i discovered why the neck was painted, it has been broken and repaired solid but ugly (when i told the seller this he offered me my money back when i wanted that, he didn't knew about it either, a honest guy.
so i needed to paint the neck too and this time a nice smooth finish, i prever to bring it back to it's original clear condition but that's no option this time.
Im very pleased with the result, already have some experience refinishing guitars and every time i get better in it it seems.
still has some wiring issues (both toggle switches are not working properly), but even with that it sounds great, a full and bluesy tone with a lot of twang, i like it.
and it's a good player nice low action, no fretbuzz, only the bridge and tremelo are not that good, when doing a upstroke the low E easely slips of the saddle and when you release the tremelo suddenly you hear a loud clunk.
finished it in a very deep metallic black, the metallic is almost not visuable but it's there, i always use acryllic carpaintspray, because it works easy is cheap, and given some time to harden it's also strong.

so after a week tinkering it looks like this now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan 2007 10:53 PM 
Virtuoso

The finish looks very good in the pics.

Even if it doesn't play so well you can still make good use of it.

Its a good conversation piece with those trapezoidal pickups and clunky tremolo.

I would hang it on the wall for others to also enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan 2007 02:35 AM 
Virtuoso

thanks, but he won't realy stand out in the crowd, on my wall that is, there are already 50 guitars there :D
but it's a nice addition to my collection, they are quite rare, this is the first one i've seen offered for sale the last years here in the netherlands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan 2007 06:20 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hi Wietse,

First time i have checked back here for ages.
Take a look at my old thread here, this might contain useful 1803T information for you too. I have not been able to improve my 1803T due to health and time issues, so it is still in the condition seen on the photos.

http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewto ... ight=1803t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan 2007 08:44 AM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
Can't tell exactly from the pics, but that looks like sort of a Jazzmaster style tremolo- take a look inside it next time the strings are off to see if there's a spot that can be lined with dense felt to reduce the "clunk" you describe without ruining the resting-point reference it needs to stay in tune. Does that make any sense?

I had the same E-string jumping problem on one of my Teiscos, I shimmed the body-end of the neck pocket slightly to increase the setback angle of the neck, and raised the bridge up to compensate which increased the downward pull over the roller bridge saddles. Much better, and I think it increased sustain a bit overall.

Hope that helps,

je

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan 2007 12:34 PM 
Virtuoso

Very nice restoration work weiste! I'll let you be an inspiration to me, as I have an Uncle Mat on her way to me now, a Vantage Entertainer, best guess model VE-550. I will have some minor work to do on her, but nothing like what you have accomplished with this one. Oh, and mine just makes my electric collection now 10, not 50 plus! 8)