The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 01:03 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: AV-330-MX revived
PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008 06:50 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hi all,

My first message here, I registered yesterday. Patented guitar-nut, like most of you I guess. I created and am maintaining with others (you already know GD K9) a website called GuitarDir: http://www.GuitarDir.com
It's non-commercial and dedicated to, well, guitars... Feel free to have a look! Obviously, Matsu guitars are an important part of my quest, and I hope I'll be able to bring here some modest contributions, but I'm afraid I'll have more questions than answers!

Okay. Back to the Avenger. Got this beauty on ebay.fr three months ago. Owner and bidders clearly not interested, she was in too bad shape: bargain!

Phase (?) switch was missing, 5-way selector was lacking the bridge settings, one missing pot button and the two other ones broken, and above all, body was roughly (but very generously) brush painted in black. Ouch. But I bought it because of the bargain, she was a Matsu and also a good opportunity to go further in working on guitars than changing pups!
Once received and plugged, still this flute sound on neck and middle PUs, and a very confortable neck which, by chance, had been unaltered.

Dismantling everything was easy, and made me more confident: no apparent mods, clean routings: clear to go further!

It took me hours to remove the black painting on the body, then I realised that I would be unable to save the original painting. A relation of mine, professional car painter, managed to retrieve the original nuance and did the job for me.

I did the electronics. Not very difficult, all wiring was original but for some unknown reason two wires had just been dead cut (?!). Cleaned everything, and resolded weak or suspect points. The only problem I had was to find out about the missing switch. No clues from the original wiring, and I have been so far unable to retrieve the original purpose, so I just made it a phase switch for the middle pup. Tested everything before remounting the lot: just gently tapping the pus' plots with a screwdriver on all switches positions...

Put some spare buttons (I know they do not look like the original ones, but at least I can play her!), new heavy gauge strings (they are my favorite, and I also wanted to see the effect on truss-rod adjustement: none required so far. Note that before, I made sure the truss-rod was still adjustable!), plugged her on: Superb.

You can admire her on
http://www.guitardir.com/specs.php?Node ... &Context=5

dom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008 08:31 AM 
Virtuoso

Welcome Dom and nice job on the Avenger! What color is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008 10:40 AM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks Jorg.

Color code is MS ("Metallic Silver"). As per one of your catalogs!
This is an important point, since I claim it to be a 330-MX only because of this specific finish info. The head's color has not been retouched and became slightly greenish, so we tried to retrieve the same for the body, but she still looks metallic and silver...
Am I right, and/or are there other differences between a 330 and a MX?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008 01:48 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi Dom,
welcome here :D
I'd put at least one pic here in an -tag if I were you.
Later!
K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008 03:59 PM 
Virtuoso

Dom, you play air guitar too? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008 04:51 PM 
Axe Slinger

Smaller than 3/4, you mean? :lol:
Note that the pups on the baby U are kind of very hot... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 14 Apr 2008 05:34 PM 
Virtuoso

Jorg wrote:
Dom, you play air guitar too? :D

:lol: No Dom, Jorg refers to a member that tried to embed a pic in another thread here, but failed. The empty tag led us to conclude that his must be an 'air guitar'. :P