The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 12:20 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aria ES Copy
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009 09:33 PM 
Virtuoso

+1 with the Kewi :D I have a friend from east Texas and I some times question if we would still be friends if we understood each other. :D

Now back to the guitar. Although the back makes a difference in the sound it is no where near as important as the top. I think if you could make a repair you would be a good shape. I also second the idea of re-doing the back in black.

Frenchy, don't apologies for your English. in my travels in France and Quebec I have butchered more French than I like to think about and just about always got encoroging smiles and help. One of the very cool things about this site is that we are an international community. One world under Uncle Matt :)

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009 11:48 PM 
Virtuoso

Pierre, Pierre, Pierre! I can see why you'd want to kiss the boo-boo and make it better, but Holy Merde!
As we've all said before, "What the hell were they thinking?!?!"

If you must try and fix her up, I agree that RSB's suggested approach is likely the way to go. It's a similar technique to that used to repair holes in drywall. You might want to have a look at that for ideas.

As for filling in the gaps, anything's gotta be better than tape! But I suggest using something flexible like silicone caulking rather than putty. It will be flexible enough without being rubber-y and will be tough enough to withstand just about anything it will encounter.

In fact you can use it in place of adhesive to bond the patch to the guitar. I just had a kitchen counter installed and they used it to bond the sink to underside of the counter. Very strong stuff!

It also comes in a variety of colours so you'll maybe have a shot at matching the wood fairly closely.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009 12:04 AM 
Virtuoso

Quote:
and Jorg, being from Texas, speaks a completely different language to the rest of the English-speaking world anyway

Aw, you're gonna make me blush. . . :blush:

You could make an honest access panel out of it. Clean up the opening in the guitar, make a lip inside and a cover out of pickguard material. It might be easier to find/make the cover first. . .

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009 01:33 AM 
Virtuoso

Nah.
I would have repaired it.
Like stated,use two component epoxy,put some "lips" on the back of the offending piece and puzzle that bit into the hole.
Have some sort of pins or similar glued into the piece for work "handles" that can be removed as you´re done.
Again epoxy....on the lips,and leave to harden over night.
In fact,for a repair on this scale PU wood glue might be a better idea?
Get´s hard enough if you pick the right variety(there are various ones)

What strikes me is what the idiot had in mind that cut the hole in the first place?
One ALWAYS pulls jobs on a hollow through the F holes.
ALWAYS.

FYI.
When working on the electronics of a hollow a common piece of weldrod works wonders.
Just stick a 2mm weldrod into the crevis of the potentiometer and bend the weldrod as needed to make you access where it needs to go.
Another trick is to use 6mm fuelhose.
Just stick it over the pot axle....lead the rubber hose where it needs to go and pull the pot or whatever.....
Friggin idiots that don´t show respect to knowledge Pierre...What would have been the cost of lifting a phone to ask someone that actualy KNEW how to pull that job...

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009 07:14 AM 
Virtuoso

Racing wrote:
...Like stated,use two component epoxy...
Respectfully disagree Racing. OK for a neck reset but too rigid for use here--won't allow for movement of the wood. You need some flexibility in the joint or it'll eventually crack and pull away. Silicone also has the advantage of being easy to smooth out while wet, no sanding or scraping needed. :)

Quote:
...put some "lips" on the back of the offending piece...Have some sort of pins or similar glued into the piece for work "handles"...
Again, use the drywall repair technique as your guide. It's a well tested and proven approach for closing up holes and describes exactly what you suggest and there's no need to install "handles", especially if you use silicone as the bonding agent. There are lots of examples on the 'net. Here's a video of one of them:
http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_3d_index.asp?page_id=35750435

Quote:
...what the idiot had in mind that cut the hole in the first place?...Friggin idiots that don´t show respect to knowledge...
Yeah, we're seeing too many examples of this lately. Makes you wanna cry to see this kind of reckless disregard of a beautiful instrument. :mad2:

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009 08:06 AM 
Virtuoso

Frenchy wrote:
I have a soft spot for these old 60's Jazz box.This baby is in great condition apart from the cut out... not even a scratch on the bloody thing. Just seems cruel to just strip her down for parts

Yeah I agree. Of course I'm biased 'cuz my first guitar was, and remains, my beloved 1964 Gibson ES330. This one looks like a 330 after a regime of pumping weights and taking steroids. :look:

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2009 10:34 AM 
Virtuoso

O.K. I'm moving slowly ahead... I went to my closest hobby shop and picked up some small piece of wood to build those areoplains... weights a feather and solid enought for the lip.

Since my larger Klamps were to big, only had 2 small ones to work with. did one side per day.

The result is not bad at all...

I'm still debating what to use to fill, guess will just go with my reg wood filler since can stain it and so forth....

More updates as I will go along...

P.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug 2009 03:53 PM 
Virtuoso

Looking good :up:
Let me know how the wood filler works out. I might have to use some on one of my projects.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug 2009 06:04 PM 
Virtuoso

I used wood filler on an Electra I am (very slowly) repairing. It shrank quite a bit as it dried. People at the guitar project forum recomended bondo.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug 2009 06:00 AM 
Virtuoso

RSBBass wrote:
I used wood filler on an Electra I am (very slowly) repairing. It shrank quite a bit as it dried. People at the guitar project forum recomended bondo.

Bondo ????? :dunno: