The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 13 May 2024 02:02 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep 2009 04:02 PM 
Virtuoso

Corsair wrote:
oooh, nice - keep them pix coming

No problem John.. It's a real pleasure to post these...

Here she is after her 2nd coat... she needs 24 hr to dry before I attempt to match the plug on the back... (from previous strap button)

Based on the numbering of Vantage, the light ones are "10's"... So I will call this one the VA-910 :D

Let me know what you guy"s think of her so far...

P.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep 2009 10:25 PM 
Virtuoso

Oh Pierre, she's looking good!! :wink2:
You can just see the life coming back into that beautiful wood grain! And I really love the way that walnut edge trim highlights the body shape.
You're smokin'!

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep 2009 12:31 AM 
Virtuoso

Mate, that thing is beautiful.
Looks even better than I thought it would with the oil finish :love: .
Top work young man :up:
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep 2009 05:34 AM 
Axe Slinger

Wow! Looking great, almost gives me the ambition to go ahead and refinish my Thunder I, Almost.

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009 02:00 PM 
Virtuoso

She is still not fully dry from the 2nd coat but here is what she looks like in the sun.

Have to wait for her to be fully dried to give more coats, the following coats are going to be really interesting since have to build them up while wet sanding her... So you wet sand her with Danish oil and wipe down all ecxcess... cant wait to try it out....

Cmin wrote:
Looking great, almost gives me the ambition to go ahead and refinish my Thunder I, Almost.

Not really that hard to do Cmin.... Based on the quality of the pickguard and TRC that you made, have no doubts that you will do a great job on the Westone...

It all come down to, what do they call it... Get off you A$$ and get to it... :lol:

The worst is getting started... once you do, cant turn back.... :loon:

P. :D

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009 08:22 PM 
Virtuoso

Just outstanding Pierre!
And to think, it will only get better!!

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009 04:15 AM 
Virtuoso

Have to say Pierre,that is one serious piece of work.

At first when i saw the pics of what could best be described as a wreck i have to be honest and say that i had my doubts as to if that would ever turn into an eye pleasing guitar again...
But..credit where credits due..
Just fantastic man,and i also thing that the rather simplistic stand when it comes to design was the icing on the cake.
I believe many others would have just put paint on and been done with it.

Just congrats broh,cause that there turned out stunning.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009 10:17 AM 
Virtuoso

Thank's Racing..

I appreciate the nice comments. Was hoping to get good results since I had my doubts also...

When I saw her in front of me with all those cracks I was wondering what I got myself into.... Once stripped down I had hope.... once it was leveled I was impressed, the only thing that I will never do again is fill the grain.... bad step and bad advice that I got... If I would redo her, I would not put any wood filler since it takes away just a little of the beauty from the wood... Most would never notice but I do ( me being very difficult ).... I did get 90% of the wood filler off before applying the Oil... Just did not like the look of it...Live and learn.... Just use the finish product as a filler, it means more coats of finish to level her but worth it in my eyes....

She is still is at this point 200% better then I had hoped for....

Still not finished and several weeks from it judging on the amount of drying time it takes between coats...

Will have all the details from the Logo this week! So for all that are waiting on me, the wait is almost over... Most logo are sent out ( minus 2 smal ones) for final pricing and pre production specs.... Will pass the info as soon as I get it....

P. :)

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009 01:12 PM 
Virtuoso

:D Looking Good - Nice work ! I really dig the natural look !

I know what you mean about using fillers, no matter the claims, they just don't take stain (or oil, in your case) the same way real wood does, and invariably the results are dissapointing. But from where I sit, not that noticable on yours, and we are all our own harshest critics.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2009 03:26 PM 
Prospective Member

Jolly good job ! (Un boulot incroyable, because I'm a Froggy...)
I read this litterature like a thriller. (I own one of these guitars in a very good state. As mint.)
I just wonder how you succeeded in peeling/scaling the old varnish off, as if I remember, these were very thick...
Anyway, the choice of using oil is the right one in my opinion. (Obvious in terms of response of the wood)

One thing scared me : You said "I'm using a filler", then will oil the stuff....
Which is contradictory.....because if you "Fill", the oil will not soak right down into the wood...

The only solution I know (Well, I mean I could suggest...) would have been be to fill with "Pumice".
Pumice will give you a top glossy surface and absolutely smooth. But...But.... It would absorb any "water-based stain" . It will absorb as well any oily substance.
This is used for "French Varnishing" in certain cases...
A) Pumice
B) Oil)
C) Shellac if you want....but I guess it would work with any "special Oil" dedicated to finishing the woods instead of shellac, and less "fragile"
(Never tried these oils, I'm just doing French Varnish until now....but I'm pretty sure...)
Hope this can help for future experiments...

IMO, If you are lucky enough to get rid of the old "concrete-like" thick original varnish, let the wood ring naturally...No varnish, ever....
Good luck...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next