The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Wed 17 Apr 2024 08:34 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010 08:01 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi guy's,

Last Oct I rescued a really abused VA900 from an idiot that was using it as a test platform for restoring other guitars of 1/3 the quality or value of it.... :evil:

I'll give you guy's some backgroud on this find. I was just having a look at some local adds since pick ups were needed for a couple of projects. I found an add that had 3 MIJ hums for sale at a very decent price. I contacted the seller right away and he mentioned that they all had funny markings on them. 2 X MMK53's and a blade pickup..... Told him I would take them right away.. Asked him his add, he lived 5 minutes from me, I could ride my bike over...LOL Hell I could have taken a walk.....

On my way over going 240 KM/H.... I thought " were the F*** did he get these..."

Once over at his place, he showed me his guitars. ( some Samick's and other Indy Fenders and ...) I asked about the guitars theses came from. He showed me a Aria Cat that he upgraded the the bridge pup. The blade MMK45 came from the Cat... He then pulled out this abused and mutilated VA900 that he was using as a test platform... He had found it in a Garage sale/car boot you guy's call them... It was originally in mint condition since all the hardware was in pristine condition. The neck was perfectly straight and frets are perfect... Here are some pics:

He sanded the headstock to take the name off, right to the veneer... then sanded the top of the headstock since did not like the shape... He sanded the body only, not the neck to test his staining ability.. (they suck by the result) I then ask if he was going to finish this guitar, he replied that it was a piece of $h!t and was only going to be used for more tests.... :eek3:

I asked if he would sell it to me, he said no but agreed to sell me all the hardware on it for an extra $10... :wink: As he started to remove the hardware, he was lacking the tools at hand and I was trying to help.... He did not have the skills and it was taking a long time.... I then convinced him to give it to me with all the hardware since it was such a hassel to take everything off... :wink:

Took everything and ran back home... :lol:

The only thing missing is the electronic boards... He threw those out in the garbage :yipes: and missing the gold srews for the back plate... I have the back plate and all....

This will be a nice little project. :)

I will have to restrip the body, do the neck this time around (the neck is the worst to do and the longest) Will reshape the headstock to it's reg look and add a new veneer. This time, I will go with my Royal Purple stain...and again finish with oil...

I have allready gone over the body once and will post pics later of the progress.

P. :D

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010 09:23 AM 
Virtuoso

There should be laws against damaging such guitars!

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010 10:47 AM 
Virtuoso

This is exactly the kind of thing I love getting my hands on. The challenge of the rebuild is what does it for me. Your plans for it sound great Frenchy - Good Luck!!

Graham

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010 11:12 AM 
Virtuoso

mozart wrote:
There should be laws against damaging such guitars!

Can you beleive this was a test guitar for Indy made strat copies.... A neckthru guitar with all this top of the line equipment on it.... Hell you can see and feel the difference right away!...

I sometimes wonder what goes thru theire minds.... :toopid:

thehoax wrote:
This is exactly the kind of thing I love getting my hands on.

Same here... and at this price you caint go wrong..... :wink:

thehoax wrote:
The challenge of the rebuild is what does it for me.

Its a high! love doing this, lots of work but worth it in the end. Im starting to see the grain on this baby and that makes me want to work harder....

thehoax wrote:
Your plans for it sound great Frenchy - Good Luck!!

Thanks... will document all the progress. I started this one and still working on the Westbury bass right now. the Westbury is going thru some drop fills with bad results I think... not used to doing this yet!...

P.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010 01:00 PM 
Virtuoso

Great score Pierre! Image
I've said it before...I don't know how you find 'em!
I never get that lucky around here...too many knowledgeable guitar players I guess. :P

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010 02:55 PM 
Virtuoso

Barry wrote:
Great score Pierre!

Thanks! :oops:

Barry wrote:
I've said it before...I don't know how you find 'em!

Pure luck Barry! just pure luck... :loon:

This was a pickup sale and turned into a restore project! Who would have guessed....

more pics once Im home....

P.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010 05:13 PM 
Virtuoso

Holy Cow ! I'm sure it will be beautiful when you are done.

And BTW- Welcome to the Fraternity of Matt Owners with Missing Headstock Decals ! :rofl: ( 2 APII's and a Skylark....so far)
(I know that Jorg is a member also-who else ?)

Nice rescue :D

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010 06:11 PM 
Virtuoso

Gribb59 wrote:
Holy Cow ! I'm sure it will be beautiful when you are done.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I hope to be able to do a good job on her.

Gribb59 wrote:
And BTW- Welcome to the Fraternity of Matt Owners with Missing Headstock Decals !

I ^ve been part of the groupe since last year...LOL I need 2 Vantage, 2 Ibanez and several others.... Still have not found someone to print some... :cry:

Here she is after my first pass at striping the paint off, very encouraging!

I m working on her again tonight.... :wink:
P.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010 06:56 PM 
Virtuoso

Ah, she's going to be a thing of beauty Pierre!
What was that block head thinking to bugger up such an obviously well made guitar? :mad2:

PostPosted: Tue 10 Aug 2010 09:49 AM 
Virtuoso

Here is a small update from a second pass on the front and back of the body.

Barry wrote:
What was that block head thinking to bugger up such an obviously well made guitar?

Thinking of sending Corsair over to have a little talk with the fella.... :lol:

Barry wrote:
Ah, she's going to be a thing of beauty Pierre!

I am really hoping.... :wink:

P. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next