The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 14 May 2024 04:03 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Epi L5?
PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014 12:55 PM 
Gallery Friend

Hello All,
I am wondering if Epiphone ever made a close copy, or faithful copy, of the Gibby L5 including flower pot emblem on the headstock and deco tail piece? I might buy a Gibby version but I tend to collect the Epiphones including the Elite/Elitist and the new Chinese and Indonesian models. (not sure if everyone would agree but they are really good). I cannot find any info about an Epi L5 on the Matsumko wiki or other such sites. any opinion is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Epi L5?
PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014 07:07 PM 
Virtuoso

AFAIK an Epi L5 CES was made in Japan, in the 80ies. Probably Matsumoku.
For the latest Epi L5 incarnation you have to google for "Epiphone Broadway" (17" Jazzbox, but flower instead of flowerpot on headstock)

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014 07:48 PM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks Mozart. I am looking at one locally that shows "Epiphone" on the headstock but no serial number and no internal label. Wondering if it is real or knock off. It looks like it could be 80's. Gold is worn, etc. I was hoping it was Matsumoku but no way to tell....

As a comparison, a different store here in NY has an Epiphone Sheraton that is clearly a knock off, the inlays are all ragged, "Epiphone" is written crooked on the headstock, the woods are subgrade, seams are cracked, binding very poorly done, etc.

I like the new Broadway and have no problem with the Chinese guitars but I have a desire for that deco tailpiece (don't know why....).

If anyone can point me to any web info about the Epi L5 it would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov 2014 09:37 AM 
Virtuoso

You could always put a deco style tailpiece on a Broadway.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov 2014 09:53 AM 
Gallery Friend

I was thinking exactly that.
I don't trust this Epi L5 is real. People are doing a good job with aging hardware and finishes.....
The problem is finding the deco tailpiece. I scoured the internet.....
Maybe somebody knows who reproduces them? I am capable of making one being equipped with a mill, lathe, welding/brazing equipment, get it plated locally.....the only thing I lack is time, better to do my job and pay somebody....
Thanks for the input RS!

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov 2014 10:38 AM 
Virtuoso

This looks pretty cool: http://www.guitarkitsusa.com/m7/5TA--ne ... ttons.html

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov 2014 11:29 AM 
Gallery Friend

Nice parts and nice deco look....thanks Virtuoso. I will keep the site handy. Kinda looking for that L5 deco style. I usually wait to see if these urges pass but this one isn't going away :lol:

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov 2014 12:49 PM 
Axe Slinger

diyfool wrote:

If anyone can point me to any web info about the Epi L5 it would be appreciated.

The Epiphone Emperor series (domestic market) looks pretty impressive me thinks. Where Emperor-C is almost like the Johnnie Smith L-5, the other, Emperor-S L-5 CES with hb's, Emperor-T (Thinline) is a lot like the Broadway. The first 2 don't differ a lot in appearance from the Aria and Aria Pro knock-off's produced at roundabout the same time, from the top of my head at least the L-1000 and PE-180. The Aria's still are considered well built instruments. Did you check the unofficial Epiphone Japan wiki? http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Emperor_Electric_Archtop & http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Epiphone_Japan
As a sidenote, a flowerpot on the headstock makes it hard to believe it is genuine imho as they all shared that typical ornamental Epi style decoration, flowers without a pot.

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec 2014 11:44 PM 
Gallery Friend

Hey Jim, thanks for the reply. All good info. Yes, I have scoured the Wikis. There is no ention of an Epi exact L5 copy I had been looking at the Arias and also an Ibanez lawsuit model that was pretty close. Since my last post I have acquired a mint Broadway Elitist. I very nice sound indeed. It needs a little setup but pretty good as is I am also waiting for the Epiphone L5 I had been eyeing suspiciously to arrive. Supposedly Japan market only. It has the deco tailpiece and flower in a pot like the L5. Hopefully it is real. I will update once I get it. Thanks to All that answered.