The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 02:16 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul 2009 09:40 AM 
Prospective Member

I've spent weeks trying to find information on this guitar. I cannot find the serial no. or model no. listed anywhere. It has Limited in pearl on the head, inlaid pearl maple leaves on fretboard, and the body is tiger maple. Made in Japan, acoustic, model # PRLTDASBOF, ser. # 15614. If any one has any info on this beautiful guitar, please post comment.
Having a heck of a time uploading photos. They can be found at:

http://s948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/David034/

Last edited by David on Mon 13 Jul 2009 07:43 AM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul 2009 05:54 AM 
Virtuoso

David, welcome here... you MUST show us your guitar, preferably with close ups of the headstock and through the soundhole to the label; it sounds like a very nice instrument!

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul 2009 09:20 AM 
Virtuoso

Corsair wrote:
... you MUST show us your guitar...
(Um, John? David did include a link to all the things you asked for! Recheck the post. :P )

David, this is one beautiful guitar! I'm afraid I can't shed any light on your dilemma though.
The model number is mouthful, obviously some sort of descriptive acronym for the importer (I assume LTD=Limited. The rest???)
You didn't mention where you picked this up. Are you by chance Canadian? Those maple leafs are very unusual and likely specific to the Canadian market I'm guessing. There were a lot of Japanese/Mats guitars coming into the country in the 70's and 80's under all sorts of labels, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a limited edition like this one showing up here.

Have you tried the Epiphone forums? They seem a bit more focused on newer models but you might find an historical clue or two there.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul 2009 09:30 AM 
Virtuoso

I tend to agree with Barry, it might have been for the Canadian Market... We have seen the same type of Maple Leaf inlays on Northern Guitars distributed out of Ontario Canada....

Just my 2 cents...

P.

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2009 08:34 PM 
Prospective Member

This guitar was bought second hand from a music store in eastern Canada in the early '80s.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2009 12:37 AM 
Virtuoso

NICE guitar.

My guess is the "PR" is for "Premium" & the "LTD" is for "Limited". I don't know what to make of the "ASBOF".

Maybe "AS" could be "All Solid"? (no laminated wood).

Gee whiz. Even the flame from the back wood is visible on the INSIDE. I wonder what a "big name" acoustic made of that grade of wood would go for today.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2009 07:26 AM 
Virtuoso

Just bumping up this thread a bit David. I see you did go to the Epiphone forum :wink:
Looks like they didn't have much more to contribute to solving this mystery, but for the benefit of those here who are interested in this guitar, here is a bit more information offered by one of their forum members:
jerrymac wrote:
I've seen mention of another one on the web, but that's about all. I'll try to help you with the model number.
PR stands for Presentation Series. The earliest ones were made in Japan starting around 1976, production moved to Korea in 1983.

LTD for limited judging by the headstock. Normally, there would be a 3 digit # indicating the model # (eg PR-725). I'm pretty sure it was not a stock item, it could have been a special run for a large retailer.

ASB = Antique Sunburst
OF = Outfield (Just kidding. I have no idea).