The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:27 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: EA260
PostPosted: Sun 26 Sep 2010 09:22 AM 
Virtuoso

This is one of the instruments I picked up with the Viola-EB1 bass guitars. It came complete with OHSC.

P.

Post subject: Re: EA260
PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010 03:22 PM 
Virtuoso

:up: Nice. Spittin' image of mine, although mine came with the string mute that covers the top of the bridge. I removed mine temporarily, as it was too easy to accidentally hit the lever and engage it. I don't find a need to mute the strings too often.

I call it 'ol thumpy. Got it strung up with flatwounds, it's pretty cool as long as you're not needing to play too loud,(it can tend to howl a bit !), but I use it mostly for recording, so no issues there. :D

Cheers,
G

Attachments:
EA - 260 rs2.jpg
EA - 260 rs2.jpg [ 64.49 KiB | Viewed 1140 times ]
Ea-260RS.jpg
Ea-260RS.jpg [ 38.35 KiB | Viewed 1140 times ]
PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010 05:12 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi Gribb,

Nice looking piece of equipment you got there :up: You lucky bugger, you got it complete with the mute and pickguard... :love: the pickguard makes a difference. I agree with you about being loud! hell, you can practice without an amp with these. With Flatwounds on, I would not see the use for the mute. I would also take it off.

I like this model but mine is in dire need of a adjustment, neck shim for it to be to my liking... I find the action a little high on it, how is yours?

P.

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep 2010 10:07 AM 
Virtuoso

Yep, one of the first things I did when I got it was shim the neck slightly. Made all the difference and it plays great, action is as low or lower than any of my other basses. The short scale and low action make it a favorite for guitar players who think they want to play bass....for a little while :D

BTW- I've always liked Semi-hollow basses (the bass I learned on was a f*nd*r Coronado II) and for awhile owned both the EA-260 and a newer EPI Jack Cassady. Never bonded with the JC and sold it, but I'm hanging on to the EA-260, it's one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep 2010 10:24 PM 
Virtuoso

Gribb59 wrote:
Yep, one of the first things I did when I got it was shim the neck slightly. Made all the difference and it plays great, action is as low or lower than any of my other basses.

That is on the list of things to do!

Gribb59 wrote:
Never bonded with the JC and sold it, but I'm hanging on to the EA-260, it's one of my favorites.

It's a very nice copy that you have! I'm surprised you never posted this beauty.... not enought basses on the board if you ask me... :wink:

Gribb59 wrote:
I've always liked Semi-hollow basses

It's new to me to tell the truth and I am really enjoying it to the max. I am impressed with how loud it is without an amp... I tried some acoustic basses that never even came close ? I wonder why? I never bought an acoustic bass since in my mind I would have to plug it in to hear, so why get an acoustic!?!....

Have you tried acoustics basses? whats your opinion on them?

P.

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep 2010 10:41 PM 
Virtuoso

I think I posted this bass in the Epiphone section when I first got it (about 3 years ago) but maybe not. It could be that it's only been posted as part of a group shot.

I've tried a few ABG's, but were usually disappointed in the lack of bass and overall volume. It seems that most I've tried (with the exception of a very nice and VERY expensive Taylor) wouldn't even be able to hold their own in an acoustic jam session.

( I REALLY don't understand why someone would have a 5 string ABG - talk about an exercise in futility :lol: )

That being said, I'm always sort of on the lookout for one to goof around with, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

For now the EA-260 gets a pretty nice "acoustic" tone through small amp.

-G