The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 16 Apr 2024 12:51 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011 07:09 PM 
Gallery Friend

So, before I gave up and went to a left handed guitar, I tried to learn on this Epiphone FT-120. I'm getting ready to sell it off on Craig's List, and it would be nice to know when it was made. I think, as a result of some Google searching, that these white label Japanese FT-120's were made somewhere between 1976 and 1980.

I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation of that, and maybe a little more refinement if that is possible. Also - If I asked $150 for the guitar in my CL ad, would that be out of line?

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011 08:22 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi, I can't help you with the date. The information available on acoustics is not good. Nor is the information on Matt made Epiphone's. If the guitar is in fairly good shape, the price is fair to possibly a bargain. Is the top solid or a laminate (solid is better)? Does it have three on a plate tuners or individual die-cast (die-cast is better)? What kind of wood is the finger board? All these can impact the price.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep 2011 01:06 PM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks for your reply!

As for the dating - I spent some more time Googling, and the best info I could find was that these white-label Japanese FT-120's seemed to have been made between 1976 and 1980. I'm good with a 4 year window.

As for the price - I sold it to a friend for $150. Both he and I thought it a fair price, so I'm good with that. If he got a bargain, good for him. I got beer money and space in the closet. :)