The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 01:30 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Great Forum
PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2012 03:48 PM 
Prospective Member

Hey guys I just bought myself an Epiphone 5102T (it's being shipped to me now) I wanted a 335 knockoff, and I bought this thinking it would be better than a Korean or Chinese 335, but little did I know the history or peculiarities of this guitar. I am really looking forward to restoring it to it's original glory as it has a few knicks and cracks in the binding near where the neck attaches to the body (I'm a little afraid the damage may be deeper and may require more extensive repairs, but I'm up to it) I've read here how the neck attachment isn't the best (neck can be horsed back/forth :cry: ) and I wondered if anyone came up with a solution or is it best just to leave it as is.

The guitar looks complete and it's supposed to be in playable condition. We'll see. I'll send good photos as soon as it comes, with before/after repairs and comments. I'm no Luthier but I know my way around electric guitars. I recently built a Strat from scratch and have built/rebuilt/repaired several others. If I get stuck I have the services of a very well-known and experienced Luthier locally but I'd rather keep my dollars in my own pocket if possible.

By trade I am a Metalsmith/Jeweler and I ran a computer consulting firm for over 20 years. I am first a keyboard player (I play in a blues band locally) but I enjoy playing guitar and Ukulele. :no:

Jeff

Post subject: Re: Great Forum
PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2012 03:51 PM 
Virtuoso

Hello Jeff and welcome. Guys like me can use all the guys like you that we can get. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new hollowbody soon!