The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:28 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tuners for CS400?
PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2020 07:12 AM 
Gallery Friend

I have an ARIA Pro II CS400. It has many battle scars but still plays and sounds terrific. The only real issue is that some cowboy made a lousy job of replacing the tuners with some completely different, cheap unbranded ones some time ago. The screw positions don't match and so the original holes are visible. It looks terrible and doesn't stay in tune. Does anyone know where I might find a set of originals so i can restore it to its former glory?
Failing that I would be really grateful if anyone could send a photo of a headstock with original tuners so at least I could try to source something vaguely similar.
yours hopefully,

Post subject: Re: Tuners for CS400?
PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2020 10:56 AM 
Virtuoso

Greetings, and hope you had a pleasant Christmas!

I doubt that you'll have any luck finding original tuners, unless someone has totally trashed an AP II that uses the style you need. However, Schaller make a similar style The type with a sort of "diamond" shaped cover?) in gold and chrome but offers them only in sets of straight 6 (Strat style) in both "left" and "right" - called "Schaller Original F-Series / 70s Tuners". You might be able to convince a local dealer to split two sets.

I've found a dealer here in Germany who offered to do such for me as I'm planing to change out a couple of bent tuners on my ES-500 (that is, when I get the cash to do it).

Attachments:
Schaller_tunersA.jpg
Schaller_tunersA.jpg [ 59.83 KiB | Viewed 1503 times ]

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete
PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2020 11:11 AM 
Virtuoso

Welcome!
Didn't the CS400 come with diecast tuners? You can find much better tuners that will fit the original holes however, you'll still have the holes made for the replacement tuners on it now. You'll never make it look like new but you can fill the holes with a dowel. What color is your CS400?

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2020 11:16 AM 
Gallery Friend

ExFender,
Thanks for the speedy response and yes, I did have a pleasant Christmas - I hope you did too.
I agree that I am unlikely to find any originals but thought it was worth a shot! Thanks for your suggestion about the Schallers - I'll look into it.

theCardinal

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2020 11:28 AM 
Gallery Friend

Virtuoso,

Its a dark wood stain. I think I've seen somewhere that its called Japan Brown?
I am considering all options at the moment. I'm wondering if I could find "3 on a plate" style tuners with the correct spacing - they might conceal most of the damage?
It certainly doesn't have to be perfect as the rest of the guitar is quite beaten up! (or should I say relic 'd?)

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2020 02:38 PM 
Virtuoso

Personally, I'd find the tuners I like. If they correspond to holes already drilled, use them. If not, fill all of the holes with dowels and cover with similar color stain or paint, then drill holes where I need them.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2020 05:43 PM 
Virtuoso

The original tuners were probably a Schaller style, maybe Gotoh. Hard to know exactly what yours were without a picture- the screw tab might angle off in one of three directions.

I have a CS-400 that I'd call a "natural relic" if I were trying to sell it on eBay. It's a real beater. :) I'd look for some Schaller or Gotoh tuners if I needed replacements. The guitar isn't a valuable collector's item, and the old tuners aren't as good as new ones.

Old tuners come up once in awhile and aren't expensive- here's an example of a CS-350 set that sold for $35:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Vintage-3 ... 7675.l2557

-Steve W.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2020 07:12 PM 
Virtuoso

I used Stewmac many many times and most of the time found tuners to fit the original holes. CS-400 had sealed tuners.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardw ... -machines/

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec 2020 08:25 AM 
Virtuoso

I haven't needed tuners for my PEs in a long time, but I remember that the newer Gotoh variety did not align with the old screw holes. I found a set of Schaller tuners that did align, but those were rather expensive...

Anyway, to make your search even more challenging: Aria used tuners with at least two different angles for the screws during the 80s...

Be prepared to make a couple of mistakes in the process, if you don't have a good parts shop in your area for trying before you buy.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2021 06:18 PM 
Prospective Member

I agree with what you said. I also needed a hammer drill. I searched for him for a long time. Let it be a recommendation. When you leave a comment here, they reach you from the contracted companies and provide discounts. I just wanted to let those who need it know.