The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 29 Apr 2024 10:00 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wanted: PE R-80
PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar 2006 03:53 PM 
I'm looking for a PE R-80 in "antique brown" (which looks like a nice brownish red to me, but I digress...)

I'm checking ebay and craigslist on a daily basis, but if anyone here knows of one or has one that they can part with (there's the tricky part, I'd imagine), I'd be very grateful.

I'm in the Southern California area, so if anyone here is in the area and you've got some ideas on local shops that may be good bets to check please let me know about them as well.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar 2006 08:32 PM 
Virtuoso

Aren't we all? Unless you're just absolutely bent on a PE-R80, consider a PE-R60. Same guitar just not quite as flashy. There are also a few Thor Sounds currently on ebay. I had an 80 long ago and have kicked myself for selling it. I recently found a 60 on ebay and took a chance. I swear it was not played enough to mention. It looks and sounds brand new!! I'll post some pics later but that is it to the left. <--- :love:

Jorg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr 2006 12:09 PM 
Virtuoso

DOOD!! Check ebay. There's a fairly nice looking PE-R80. . .

:D Jorg :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2006 08:43 PM 
Virtuoso

Well, somebody got it, for $816.00!!! :o Anybody here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2006 09:00 PM 
Jorg wrote:
Well, somebody got it, for $816.00!!! :o Anybody here?

It wasn't me, unfortunately. That was a bit out of my price range.

I haven't seen PE-R80's in Japan Brown/Ash before, but then I'm still new to researching the PE's so I'm not entirely sure. I've never seen the R80's listed as being available in Japan Brown/Ash in any catalog scans that I've seen so the price may reflect the rarity of this particular guitar.

I'm still looking for one in the "Antique Brown" finish, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2006 10:54 PM 
Virtuoso

The winner is a member here on the forums. Hopefully he'll share is thoughts on it when he receives it.

The R-80 has just crossed over from working man's Cadillac in the same class as the PE-145 and Skylark 2588. That one is a little rough in regards to cosmetics though. Hopefully this is no indication of it's physical condition.

It's going to be tough to latch onto one now as all future listings for a while will cite that one.

Japan Brown would not be such an oddity. It's only a color after all and could have easily been ordered in advance.

Ash? It wouldn't be an R-80 if it were not maple/mahogany/maple if you know what I mean. Much the same way a mahogany Strat would not be a Strat.

PostPosted: Wed 10 May 2006 01:50 PM 
I rec'd the previously mentioned ebay per80 last week from a Canadian seller....

While I must say that I was regreting the amount paid until the day it arrived. However, after plugging into my Marshall, tuning up,
I didn't put it down for 3 hours. No regrets now! ( In my own defense, I bid high on this one. I have been beaten out of 3 pe80 auctions over the last 3 years and wasn't going to lose this one, now I'll eat mac-n-cheese for a month, but I love mac-n-chesse :wink: )
I have a pe60 so I knew the comfortable feeling, and this one adds the arched back which took about 15 minutes to get used to.
The guitar itself is heavy but not more so that the PE60. The guitar is Japan Brown, but not ASH, its maple. Its in very nice shape but is a player and has the associated wear, but no dead spots. It had a hack job of leveling on the first fret, but the seller and I are working on that... I love the pickups, MMK 75's! They are strong and clear (but not obnoxious like a super distortion) and coil tapped. So lots of musical territory can be worked easily, blues, rock, surf, you name it.....
The guitar came with 9's on it and didn't sound thin with these pickups.
I've cleaned it up and changed to 10's for a little more in the tone dept. This one will not leave me until I'm dead and I'll keep the PE60 as well. Pe's are too comfortable, too well balanced, they are toooooo much!!

MikeC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10 May 2006 04:02 PM 
Virtuoso

wow, fabulous! I love happy endings!

believe me, years from now you'll laugh at was was once a 'high price' for this superb guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10 May 2006 05:24 PM 
Virtuoso

Indeed. I was looking at a used, beat up les paul last year (trying to replace my R80 from years ago) at $750. :-? The R60 I found instead at $520 sounds better/feels better/looks better/IS better!! :love: I would have paid the $750 if the les paul had been this R60. . .

Jorg