The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 01:22 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr 2012 03:15 PM 
Virtuoso

My bud is looking for a specific SX bass that he cant get over in the US anymore.... Heres what he wants..

This is the message he sent me:
Well, lol...the brand is SX (aka Essex, but the real spelling is just simply SX)...they're a chinese replica company of anything from Gibson and Fender, to Paul Reed Smith and Warmoth...In particular there are several Jazz bass copies I'd be interested in, but can't find them. SX began selling Fender copy basses with a rounder headstock, very much similar to those on an actual Fender...but due to copyright infringements, they switched to an ugly jagged/sharp-angled style headstock that just doesn't look right...at least, those sold in the U.S. are cut that way...I did happen upon a couple websites, one from Spain (which looked like a main website for SX, but also had a .pdf file catalog of their stuff with prices) and a European retailer website, where they show the original headstock styled basses still on their inventory...I don't know if that's just due to the fact that they haven't switched their photos, or if somewhere, they're still making those original styles (I can only hope)...Probably the style I'm most set out to obtain would be a Jbass body, with a pbass pickup in the middle and jbass pickup at the bridge, either the surf foam green color or the metallic blue, with maple fretboard and MOP block inlays or ebony block inlays, along with the high mass bridge and better tuners they offer...and all of that, in a 5 string version....very specific I know, but I know they did make those, and they could put together just about any combination of goodies they offered on any of their basses...

Well there are several, lol...I can give you a list here of some very similar ones to what I'm looking for (or would be content with): VJB62, VJB57C, VJB62C, VJB75C, SPJ/ASH, SJB57C+

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2012 05:32 PM 
Virtuoso

Greetings,

Best I can suggest is to lurk around the Talkbass Classifieds. There was a bit of a love-fest over SX a couple of years back & I'd expect the shine to have worn off for a few by now.

Pete.

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2012 07:58 PM 
Virtuoso

Bloodaxe wrote:
Greetings,

Best I can suggest is to lurk around the Talkbass Classifieds. There was a bit of a love-fest over SX a couple of years back & I'd expect the shine to have worn off for a few by now.

Pete.

How do I press the like button?

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012 01:25 AM 
Virtuoso

I used to own a SX tele thinline. Have played some of their strats too, buddy owns a SRV strat. Some hype was going on a few years ago, like " as good as originals" or "7ender forced them to change the headstock-design because of their quality"!
The truth: pretty good guitars for THAT price (I've paid 150.- for a new SX)! Nothin' more!!

If you want the "real thing" for little money, try to find a japanese Squier!
The best chinese guitars can not compete with the quality of early/mid eighties japanese guitars, and I guess that's why we all are here at this forum... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012 07:35 AM 
Virtuoso

mozart wrote:
If you want the "real thing" for little money, trie to find a japanese Squier!
The best chinese guitars can not compete with the quality of early/mid eighties japanese guitars, and I guess that's why we all are here at this forum... :wink:

:up:
:cheers: