The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 08:21 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2006 02:27 PM 
Axe Slinger

I dont seem to be able to use the search function at all. Maybe i'm being dull, but whatever i enter (even obvious things for testing), it comes up with no hits.
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, i did try searching for posts on the subject.... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2006 02:45 PM 
Virtuoso

Can you give me some idea of what criteria you are using?

Subject/title search or author search?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2006 03:12 PM 
Axe Slinger

that is happening for me too... i searched 'ripper' as in the univox ripper that there have been several discussions of, and get nothing

same goes for searching out elvin bishop or eb as in the electra model

but if i search on electra... i get a bunch of hits... are we just not using it properly? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2006 03:57 PM 
Virtuoso

Sure enough, nothing comes up for elvin, bishop, or ripper. I tried a number of other obvious such as cardinal, westone, electra, 350, and a few others and there were some hits. Others such as hondo, bradley, and a few others that I know exist did not return results.

Although I doubt this is the cause, the search function is a little quirky, that much is sure. When using wildcards at least three real characters must be used. It seems there were little troublemakers searching with nothing but wildcards on large forums and bringing them to their knees so a safety was coded into the search to require at least three real characters. To date there has been no simple fix or option to reverse this.

The real culprit may be as a result of the move. Unfortunately due to the database table size limitation of the new hosting company the only table in the database that could not be moved due to it's size was the search results. The inept staff at GoDaddy could not help and the blanket response was "we don't suppport that". IOW, they offer hosting services but don't know anything about it. They could not insert the table for me, and would not give me shell access to do it myself. I will try again when time permits and maybe I will get lucky this time.

I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2006 05:51 PM 
Virtuoso

After doing a little digging I found a mod that should re-build the search capablitity and database tables.

On the outside chance this boogers the tables, it may be necessary to restore the originals and may cause the board to go down temporarily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2006 06:00 PM 
Axe Slinger

i don't think it was from the move... or at least not JUST from the move..... i can't ever remeber it working that well.... as you say... its quirky... i remember it as always being somewhat quirky.... it was never a big issue for me so i always let it slide... :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2006 06:38 PM 
Virtuoso

Much of it was from the move. That seems to have been corrected. Yes, it's still quirky, and for this site's purposes the minimum search characters could be 2, or even 1. Alas, after checking the thread I started on the phpBB forums there have not been any replies and no suggestions.

Your searches for bishop and ripper now return results.

Tezza, hopefully this corrects at least part of the problem you were having.

Thanks for your patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2006 06:23 AM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks for your quick help. I guess those who have been here a while dont need the search function coz they read most posts as they happen, but as a "latecomer" i like using things to find info about certain series.

The change you made is helping a bit.... thanks a lot! Only problem is the AND commands etc dont work, now using quotation marks, meaning for eg you can only find instances of CS300 and not CS-300 or CS 300.

Not complaining, just pointing it out ;) Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2006 08:52 AM 
Virtuoso

Tezza wrote:
Thanks for your quick help. I guess those who have been here a while dont need the search function coz they read most posts as they happen, but as a "latecomer" i like using things to find info about certain series.

The change you made is helping a bit.... thanks a lot! Only problem is the AND commands etc dont work, now using quotation marks, meaning for eg you can only find instances of CS300 and not CS-300 or CS 300.

Not complaining, just pointing it out ;) Thanks for your help!

Your welcome Tezza!

The search here is not much like Google or Yahoo. If you are searching for CS-300 or any variant use CS*300 which will return CS300, CS-300, and CS 300. In other words anything starting with CS and ending in 300.

The safety feature mentioned earlier expects at least three characters besides wildcards. Anything less is ignored, so cs AND 300 would seach only for 300 and drop the cs. csb AND 300 would search for both terms, and cs not being three or more letters would be dropped.

Hopefully it makes sense now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2006 12:11 PM 
Axe Slinger

That sure does help. I later realised what i said about CS-300 not working was wrong, that did indeed work.

Excellent, i was now able to find the info i was looking for! :)
Thankyou very much for keeping the great site great...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next