The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Wed 22 May 2024 06:09 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2007 04:38 PM 
Virtuoso

I think the only reason Squid knows he has a scarf joint is due to poor sticker placement. . . :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2007 06:20 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
Jorg wrote:
I think the only reason Squid knows he has a scarf joint is due to poor sticker placement. . . :D

Nice! :wink:

The Talman's clean & pretty, thankyouverymuch:

http://tinyurl.com/ysz9uu

...gonna hafta go check my other Ibanez, now...

je

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2007 09:28 PM 
Virtuoso

I like the finish on yours much better than I did the finish on mine! Mine was a fugly green.

I think I like the cast bridge and jackplate a little more though. I was told this was stock on the models produced in Fuji.

http://www.therathole.org/guitar/temp/talman.html

No need to panic at all. If you've noticed no problems I doubt very seriously you ever will.

That Ibanez AS80 from the mid 1990s that I sold I had from new, and the last 4 years or so has been strung with 13's! Them's some steel girders thar bubba! No suprise the guy I sold it to is one heluva bleugrass acoustic picker. The boy can smoke it with the best of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2007 10:07 PM 
Virtuoso

I've also got a couple of modern Epiphones with scarf joints and there's no problem with them at all, the necks are straight and appear to stay that way- I'm just extra careful because I know if I drop one on the headstock, they're vlunerable to a break that's mighty hard to fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2007 11:27 PM 
Virtuoso

I'll say they are a pain to repair...

That took a bump to the tip of the headstock and "pop". It looked like a bowsaw twanging in the air. :D I have done six repairs like this. The others brought to me the wood was too far warped to get a good clean bond. I won't attempt it if I cannot effect a solid repair.

I had one snap off at Guitar Center WHILE I WAS PLAYING THE GUITAR. That was an Epi LP with set neck. Two friends brought me brand new Epi setneck SGs with action problems. Three guesses what the problem was and the first two don't count. The Slash Sig model I had also had a kink at the third fret and fortunately was fine after I cooked it straight.

I'm glad yours are fine. :up: I know there are many out there that do not have any problems. I've played quite a few that were kindof nice. No problems other than the dinky pots and stubborn hardware.

Maybe I shoudln't but I compare these with other guitars that do not have this joint.

I am NOT saying every guitar with a scarf joint is bad. I just don't like the method and I have good reason to dislike it. Most often I don't see the ones that are fine, I see the ones that are not.

It is a way of cutting corners to manage price point. The cheaper method. The point I am trying to make is cheaper comes with a price and it's not Guitar Center or the manufacturer that pays that hidden cost.

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2007 10:15 PM 
Gallery Friend

[url=[URL=http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=falconbodyneckclipfr2.jpg]Image[/url]

Is this a Uncle Matt. Washburn Falcon or Not??? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2007 10:49 PM 
Virtuoso

SalemB would be one of the more knowledgeable in regards to identifying original Wings from reissues. They were brought back in the 1990s but by this time Matsumoku was long gone. Much of their production had shifted to Korea by this time.

Post subject: Scarf Joint Neck
PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2007 08:23 AM 
Virtuoso

If you search e-bong on "project" you will see several ephiphone set necks with scarf joints that broke in shipping. It tells me a lot about the joints and how these guitars are shipped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2007 05:54 PM 
Virtuoso

BuzzD'Fret's Washburn is unusual in two way's.. it does have a scarf-joint which i haven't seen before on any Wings including the Korean re-issues. Also the shape of the cutaway's is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2007 10:03 AM 
Axe Slinger

X189player wrote:
P.S.- those scarf joints now are so common, and Korean guitars have gotten better, so there are actually some modern guitars with scarf joints that are pretty good- the modern Epiphone Vees and Thunderbirds have them, and theyr'e pretty decent guitars. Of course the problem is, if they fall over once the neck will likely break, never to be repaired again, and the guitar is trashed. It feels like planned obsolesence, almost, and it's too bad, it makes me hesitant to like what are otherwise pretty good axes.

Make that -most- of the new V's and T-birds. I have a 7 string V which does not have the scarf joint. To be honest, the quality of this guitar is significantly different from the standard Epiphone Vs. I got it for a great deal, but it took a LONG time to remember there was a seventh string. Hard to break old habits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next