The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 01:47 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov 2008 12:03 PM 
Axe Slinger

Squid Head wrote:
GUITARSKEETER wrote:
I have always thought they aged wood better overseas. At least that has been my logic for why necks on overseas guitars seem to hold a setup far better than their domestic counterparts.
Samicks in particular seem to have rock solid necks that don't change.
I have had quite a few guitars with scarf joints, and never really paid it much attention.

If you're ever curious, look on E-Bay for "Epiphone broken" or "Epiphone project" and you'll find bunches of bad scarf joints. Actually, most now just pitch the necks and sell only bodies, for a while you could buy them by groups of 6 guitars, all without headstocks.

je

I am sure some of them are defective, when companies produce hundrreds of thousands of guitars you can expect some mistakes.
I doubt that scarf joing defects are any more common than any other type. I see domestic guitars on racks in stores that have things wrong with them that would cause me to not buy them. Defects in finishes, substandard fretwork, intonation problems.
In general, the workmanship on asian guitars is superior. But no manufacturing process is perfect. No matter where the product is made, and no matter the company, when there is an assembly line process to making anything some defects make it through.
I have seen guitars that cost over a thousand dollars with imperfections.
I worked for a company that was a vendor for Honda, their quality control is insane compared to when I was a u.s. steel worker, and even there now and then something got through.

I don't consider Epiphones to be consistant with Asian quality , they are more like amexican made guitars. I don't know why that is unless they are managed like domestic companies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov 2008 12:49 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
Sorry, didn't mean for you to take my quoting your post as any kind of comment on Asian guitars in general, I actually haven't kept track of the origin of the Epis I've seen with this issue.

It's not just a few, though, I'd say I've seen dozens in person and easily seen hundreds of them on line. They may have gotten things better recently, I don't know.

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov 2008 02:51 PM 
Virtuoso

There is a MF warehouse/outlet not too far from where I live where they offer all kinds of returned merch defective or otherwise for a "discount". ( Wow , 20% off for a completely broken POS. Where do I sign up?) :x Walking through there you will see racks and racks of broken necked guitars ( Epiphones and lots of others) Not sure if this is more of a comment on quality of the guitars or UPS!

At any rate, quality generally has less to do with "where" something is made, and everything to do with designing and building to a price point.
When the big guys decide that they need to have a major market share of guitars that sell for $129.99, the accuntants take over and no one could care less about what kind of wood is used, or how it's assembled.
If using a scarf joint saves $0.20 US, and 200,00 units are sold......

Don't get me started on hardware........ :D