The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 26 Apr 2024 05:41 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2008 03:13 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
I have a Korean Vantage acoustic that's a good candidate, in that it has a somewhat compensated bridge and it's got some aesthetic damage so I don't care so much about it.

There's also an Ibanez strat thing that's my versatile/go-to guitar these days, and it has a typical Fender-type nut.

Those would be my first attempts. One of the Les Paul Specials would be next (the one with a Badass bridge) and then maybe the Telebastard can get one along with some acoustic pickup saddles. As I said, a friend of mine is an Earvana endorser, so if he can toss me some samples I'd (of course) be more inclined to give 'em a shot.

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2008 08:12 PM 
Virtuoso

I don't doubt the Feiten system is a quality piece of equipment but it makes you change everything to fit IT. The Earvana (IMO of course) works WITH the guitar, if that makes any sense.

My Jorgcaster started life as an Aria STG 003 and has a strat style nut. It's currently under the knife but may wake up with an Earvana. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2008 06:17 PM 
Virtuoso

Jorg wrote:
It's currently under the knife

When do you expect the patient to recover? I'm curious to see it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2008 06:51 PM 
Virtuoso

The makeover is addressing several issues of varied complexity.
The bridge replacement has gone well adding a more substantial feel. The wimpy original was pitched in favor of a mid 80's Japanese Squier unit with aftermarket roller saddles. A small amount of massaging was involved to persuade its acceptance. :D
The tuner replacement went equally as well with a set of recent Squier pieces. They've yet to prove themselves but they seem much more qualified than the originals.
The tatoo removal was over in no time but the new tatoo is not yet a finished product. Hopefully it will be ready soon.
The most difficult task has been the removal of the dots from the fretboard. Well, the removal wasn't really a problem. :D Getting it to look the way I want has been challenging. I'm hopeful this will be done this weekend. After that, I'll make a decision on the Earvana.

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2008 07:40 AM 
Power Chorder

Quote:
Anybody have experience or feedback on the Feiten or Earvana systems? A long-time friend of mine endorses Earvana, I'll be getting in touch with him about his feelings, but I was curious about any opinions here.

My number 1 guitar, a 1967 MIJ Emperador (335 copy) has the Earvana nut and it works as advertised. Your first-position E, D, A chords never sounded better.

Take your guitar to one GOOD, experienced luthier to install it, as it's not easy to find the right spot right away if the person's not familiar with the concept of the compensated nut. Here in Italy it took me a fair while to find somebody willing to work with me to get it right.

HTH,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov 2008 11:32 PM 
Virtuoso

I did some research on this (been awhile now) and decided it can't make much of a difference. Yes, I understand the theory and have spoken with people that have tried it (professionals).
Having said that, if YOU have one and YOU like it, more power to you.*

*No offense was intended or implied

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov 2008 09:14 AM 
Virtuoso

If you use light strings, it should make a difference... once you get beyond ".10" sets, it should not make a difference... unless your nut is not slotted deep enough. :)

Post subject: Re: Compensated Nuts
PostPosted: Thu 11 Jun 2009 04:55 AM 
Virtuoso

Hey guys. I hope you all are doing well.

My 2 cents:

I like both systems. They both DEFINITELY work in terms of improving the [tuning] temperament of the guitar. The question is whether or not your ear is developed enough (or you are naturally gifted) to perceive the difference.

I've played guitars with both nuts. I have a slight preference for the Feiten system, but I wouldn't retrofit a guitar I already own for it. Of the guitars I own, I'd either devalue them too much by permanently altering them or they aren't worth the effort.

It's easy enough for me (& I can get the tuning close enough to where I want it) to adjust the tuning a little bit after I've used a tuner (I guess it would be easier if I'd just write down the cent/hertz settings I like & tune to those, but I haven't gotten ambitious enough to do that yet).

If I could find a good, inexpensive working Str@ or T-style guitar, I might give the Earvana a try. The only tech I know competent enough to install a Feiten nut says they take an inordinate amount of time to get right (unless of course you have been trained at the system).

I'm saving my pennies (& when the market improves, I'll be liquidating a guitar or two) for a project guitar from a well-known component manufacturer that offers the Earvana nut as an option on their necks.

Two other alternatives:

(1) Microfrets Guitars. They've revived the company, & they still make them with completely adjustable nuts. There's a "mini-nut" saddle for each string, & they're fully adjustable for both height & intonation. They aren't cheap, though (a good 3 times out of my price range).

(2) I've seen video of Vai playing a guitar that had a neck with compensated FRETS. I hear they're available for other guitars (besides Ibanez), but they're expensive, too. 3 or 4 times the price of a typical replacement neck. They're also strange looking (each fret has it's own "zig-zag" pattern) & I can't imagine that it would be easy to bend strings on that neck.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2009 12:06 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
slo-hand wrote:
Hey guys. I hope you all are doing well.

My 2 cents:

I like both systems. They both DEFINITELY work in terms of improving the [tuning] temperament of the guitar. The question is whether or not your ear is developed enough (or you are naturally gifted) to perceive the difference.

I've played guitars with both nuts. I have a slight preference for the Feiten system, but I wouldn't retrofit a guitar I already own for it. Of the guitars I own, I'd either devalue them too much by permanently altering them or they aren't worth the effort.

It's easy enough for me (& I can get the tuning close enough to where I want it) to adjust the tuning a little bit after I've used a tuner (I guess it would be easier if I'd just write down the cent/hertz settings I like & tune to those, but I haven't gotten ambitious enough to do that yet).

If I could find a good, inexpensive working Str@ or T-style guitar, I might give the Earvana a try. The only tech I know competent enough to install a Feiten nut says they take an inordinate amount of time to get right (unless of course you have been trained at the system).

I'm saving my pennies (& when the market improves, I'll be liquidating a guitar or two) for a project guitar from a well-known component manufacturer that offers the Earvana nut as an option on their necks.

Two other alternatives:

(1) Microfrets Guitars. They've revived the company, & they still make them with completely adjustable nuts. There's a "mini-nut" saddle for each string, & they're fully adjustable for both height & intonation. They aren't cheap, though (a good 3 times out of my price range).

(2) I've seen video of Vai playing a guitar that had a neck with compensated FRETS. I hear they're available for other guitars (besides Ibanez), but they're expensive, too. 3 or 4 times the price of a typical replacement neck. They're also strange looking (each fret has it's own "zig-zag" pattern) & I can't imagine that it would be easy to bend strings on that neck.

Thanks for the reply...an Earvana is in my future, but lots of other things are in line before that.

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul 2009 12:48 PM 
Power Chorder

This is an old but interesting article on how to compensate your nuts in the privacy of your own shop.

http://www.mimf.com/nutcomp/index.htm

The author must know my disabled and eccentric uncle Carl, as he states, "I keep records of each compensated nut job." He must have a big file cabinet...