The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 04:38 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar 2008 01:51 AM 
Virtuoso

Deoxit:
Has anyone tried this stuff to clean and lubricate switches and pots?
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

I use generic TV Tuner cleaner.
It seems to help sometimes, and other times not much difference.

A lubricating agent seems like a good idea to keep the thing working longer.

What have you used with good results?

Thanks for any replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar 2008 07:41 AM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
My favorite stuff has been banned for years, bad for humans and the environment or something. Worked real well, of course, so I hoarded a case of it and have now just about used up the last of it. Chlouroflourocarbons rule.

I've heard de-oxit's helpful for contacts (switches/jacks/plugs), but specific types for different uses (pots might be different), I'll check into it and let you know.

To me a lubricant leaves a residue, not something I'd want on my pots & faders.

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

Last edited by Squid Head on Wed 29 Oct 2008 02:33 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar 2008 11:00 AM 
Virtuoso

I have been using an electric motor contact cleaner (carefuly) for a few years now with no ill effects and much success. The brand is "CRC Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner". A one and a half pound spray can cost $5.99. I think it will last me the rest of my life.

I agree with Squid that I would be cautious of anything that leaves a residue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar 2008 11:54 AM 
Virtuoso

Watch using DeOxit on pots! A few of the older, and many of the cheezy Korean dinkys have a meltdown. The semiconductor coating on the pad literally melts. Me? I pitch EVERY Korean or Chinese mini pot I come across with a vengeance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008 12:39 AM 
Axe Slinger

I use Deoxit exclusively and I swear by it. Most tuner cleaners you have to douse the pot in them, but Deoxit takes just a very small amount. A can of it goes a LONG way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008 12:42 AM 
Axe Slinger

Crusty wrote:
Watch using DeOxit on pots! A few of the older, and many of the cheezy Korean dinkys have a meltdown. The semiconductor coating on the pad literally melts. Me? I pitch EVERY Korean or Chinese mini pot I come across with a vengeance.

I use only Japanese , Korean, and Indonesian guitars except for one Chinese bass I have, and I have never had a bad experience like that.
In fact those mini pots seem to last me as long as the larger old pots did.
And I gig a lot.
The only problem I have had with the electronics in Korean guitars is the five way switches in strats. But it seems those have gotten rather cheesy in most guitars. And they are cheap to replace with good ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008 01:05 AM 
Virtuoso

Luck is with you then. Of the hundreds of guitars that have gone through my little shop the Korean and Chinese pots on some guitars literally ooze apart with DeOxit. Needless to say I was not happy replacing pots on guitars that are sub standard in comparison to what I prefer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008 01:22 AM 
Axe Slinger

Crusty wrote:
Luck is with you then. Of the hundreds of guitars that have gone through my little shop the Korean and Chinese pots on some guitars literally ooze apart with DeOxit. Needless to say I was not happy replacing pots on guitars that are sub standard in comparison to what I prefer.

Yeah, man, what a drag. Maybe they bought some "made with pride in the usa" pots. Glad I never ran into any of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008 07:56 AM 
Virtuoso

Cute.

No, they were all the itty bitty teeny weeny pots found on most chinese and korean guitars at that time. I replaced them with Japanese pots. Mostly Squire and Epiphone, and an Ibanez that I can remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008 12:04 PM 
Axe Slinger

Crusty wrote:
Cute.

No, they were all the itty bitty teeny weeny pots found on most chinese and korean guitars at that time. I replaced them with Japanese pots. Mostly Squire and Epiphone, and an Ibanez that I can remember.

I am assuming they didn't use those for long. Most of the Squiers I have had or worked on seem to have pretty good pots in them. They aren't real big, but that just makes them more convenient to work on.
I like those Japanese pots. I have seen a lot of guitars that were made in Japan that have the original pots.
I had to change 1 Japanese pot that I can remember, that was in my Yamaha SG 1500. You could tell the guitar had a lot of wear on it and had been heavily used when I got it. And the trace on the pot was good, it just broke because the plastic/bakelite, or whatever the trace mount was made of broke.