The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 06:20 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Some PEs
PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2009 03:06 AM 
Virtuoso

Just decided to let a couple of guitars go... three (maybe four) of those are PEs...

None of the guitars is in mint condition... so look elsewhere, if you are looking for something looking like new. The guitars are located in Japan (for shipping cost considerations).

I will upload some pictures next weekend... but something about condition:

PE-Deluxe (1985 without Kahler)

I would call this a project guitar... it is playable but could use a new nut and a fret dress. The bridge is not the one found on other PEs from 1985 but something cheap, so you may consider replacing it. The tailpiece does not have the narrow spacing that's typical for Matsumoku PEs.

PE-Supra (1984)

Has some finish chips and Kahler needs maintenance. Not sure of the lock behind the nut has all the screws and plates. I don't play with tremolo so they are currently removed. There used to be a sticker on the back so the color hasn't aged evenly on the backside.

PE-R80 or a PE-R80 with Kahler mod (not a factory KV model).

PE-R80 is stock, but received a hit on the lower strap pin once... that left quite a dent in the wood.
PE-R80 with Kahler has a wood chip at the string lock, but otherwise the tremolo installation was nicely done.
Both are otherwise in good shape.

I also have a body of another 1985 PE-Deluxe standing around. The guitar was parted out to restore another PE (on display in the members treasures forum). If anyone is interested in a parted out guitar... he needs to pay the shipping.

Post subject: Re: Some PEs
PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2009 10:51 AM 
Virtuoso

Hmm, a project. . .?

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2009 10:10 PM 
Virtuoso

The parted out one does not have the tailpiece... and it's supposed to be the narrow type. Unless you have one in your spare parts box or you are willing to plug the old holes and drill for a current spaced tailpiece, this would not be your project.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2009 11:50 PM 
Virtuoso

OR, plug the holes and run the strings thru the body. :devil2:

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb 2009 12:56 AM 
Virtuoso

Would actually work on this guitar... not like this butchered PE-800 on eBay.

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb 2009 11:26 AM 
Virtuoso

The only thing I'm afraid of is shipping cost. . . :-?

After thinking about it a minute, I'm afraid of one other thing. Actually seeing a picture of it. :D

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2009 01:58 AM 
Virtuoso

Shipping is a little over a bill. I've received two from Wutz and both were very well packed.

Are there prices on these?

Believe it or not, when I do try to make bad noises with good guitars I usually grab the PE project or the Supra. Wonder where they came from. :D

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb 2009 01:23 AM 
Virtuoso

Listed those while being on a business trip in Taiwan... I just wanted to get this done before I change my mind. :)

I will check for the prices when looking for the photos (the idea is to put the price I paid for those).

I'm not sure, if I still have hard cases that I could use for shipping... but I have a couple of guitar shipping boxes (even one that would fit two guitars) and quite a bit of bubble wrap. Without hard case shipping should be a bit lower.

What I forgot to mention, the Supra currently does not have the pickup caps installed, however pickups are original MMK with cream bobbins.

My main guitar currently is a recent PE-Splendor... but from the old ones it's a Supra (with a SH-1 in the neck position and a SH-14 in the bridge position) that sees most of the playing time.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2009 07:50 AM 
Virtuoso

Pictures are small... I haven't gotten the guitars out yet, but if someone wants to see details it can be done within a couple of days:

1. PE Deluxe (1985)
Note the bridge and stoptail... but this is not a modification, the guitar was made like this. I think I paid 19000 Yen for this one.

2. PE Supra (1984)
As mentioned... currently no screws in the string lock and pickup covers removed. I paid too much for this (about 80000 Yen or a bit more)... if someone really needs to have this let me know what you think is reasonable for it (after you've seen a set of detailed pictures of the guitar).

3. PE-R80 (1981)
I paid 45000 Yen for this guitar.

4. PE-R80 with Kahler added (1984)
The neck on the 1984 is a bit slimmer than on the 1981 model (btw. the Supra has a chunky neck by PE standards). I paid 50000 Yen for the guitar.

5. PE Deluxe parted out (1985)
This picture was taken before the guitar lost most of it's parts to a PE-R150 renovation... the pickups went into the PE Deluxe listed above.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2009 03:32 PM 
Virtuoso

I'm still interested in the parted out Deluxe. What kind of shape is it in and what's left of it? Was this offered in the US?
Sorry, I have a million questions but I'll shut up for now. Please post pics. :hyper: