The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 06:30 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015 11:01 AM 
Power Chorder

Hello!

I reacquired a Vantage VS696 recently through an incredible series of random circumstance that still has me shaking my head in disbelief.
I had purchased the guitar new in 1984 while living in Edmonton. I knew little to nothing about guitars then and I never really bonded with the Vantage at that time. I ended up trading it in for some work on an acoustic I had, maybe a year or so after purchasing the Vantage.
I'm sure during all the years in between I never gave that Vantage a second thought. I also stopped playing guitar for probably 25+ years to boot.
I still hung on to the acoustic however and it is responsible for getting me back playing maybe a little over a year ago. In digging out my old song books, etc. I found I had written down and saved all of the models & serial numbers of all the guitars I had owned during the years in Edmonton.
In the course of my resurrection as a player, I found the Guitars Canada site and consequently this site. My interest was piqued about that old Vantage I had traded all those years ago...
It was at the end of a work day a few weeks back that for some reason I started looking up Vantage VS696 models. Instead of websites as I had so often in the past however, I punched in "images" as I really didn't remember what the Vantage looked like, just that it was red. there were of course quite a number of photos and I checked out a few. After maybe 10 minutes of searching, I zeroed in on one image and noticed the website it was from was a guitar shop in Edmonton. I clicked on to the site & saw they indeed had a red VS696 listed-with pictures, good pictures, including one of the serial number and yup it was my old guitar.
I promptly called the shop to confirm they still had it and made arrangements to have it shipped. I received it a week later.
It is in surprisingly good shape, a couple of gouges in the body, some scrapes & dents but overall, pretty decent. I had it set up professionally and now play it regularly.
my new/old Vantage is not going anywhere now & thanks to this site, I have a much better understanding of Vantage & related Matsumoku guitars. Thanks for the inspiration!!

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015 12:02 PM 
Gallery Friend

That is quite a story!
congratulations on getting your old friend back home :D

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015 07:21 PM 
Virtuoso

What are the odds eh?
Great story lance, I just love a happy ending! Image

Oh, and welcome.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015 08:23 PM 
Virtuoso

Welcome indeed. We like pics. :D