The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 03:29 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Pulling away...
PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008 10:24 AM 
Virtuoso

I am planning to slowly retire from the site. I will be doing a couple of updates to the forums and after that it is up to someone else. I've put in 8 years under the hood and it is both growing old and I am seldom able to play any more. I have sold off most of my guitars and have a handful yet to go keeping only the very special ones, ones I started out with, ones friends have helped me acquire, and such.

I am in the process of gathering all the images I have accumulated through my own efforts and the efforts of others. I am also packing up every HTML page currently on the site as well as the finished and unfinished templates I created when I planned on doing a site wide update. I suspect I will not be doing this now.

I have been diagnosed with a brain tumor which even after a year of test after test has not been positively identified and the resulting condition correctly diagnosed. With this in mind I am shifting gears and devoting more of my time to my passions and less to community service. As time passes it is more and more difficult to focus on recent memory although past memory seems to be unaffected. Let's just call it forgetful for now. I am told it is likely to get worse over time though.

Hopefully I have given enough to inspire others to continue the work that has been done so far by the hanful of dedicated Uncle Matt fans.

I will be refraining from moderating the forums very soon and leaving this job to the new moderators. It will be up to you to lock inapropriate threads, move and delete out of scope threads redirecting the inquiries to the correct resources, remove duplicate/spam posts, remind and reinforce rules and guidelines, interject when threads or users begin to cause problems, and basically keep things on track, in the right direction, and moving forward to one day identifying and documenting the many guitars made by Matsumoku.

Just a few hints: eBay links belong nowhere but in the eBay forum for reasons already explained. Out of scope threads belong in the Post Matsumoku forum for later model guitars and ultimately locked or deleted, and threads that have NO connection with this site deleted (save for those permitted in the Off Topid forum of course). Threads on well docuemented models belong in the Member's Treasures as the individual forums are dedicated to identifying and documenting models less well known. You get the idea.

Those of you who are moderators now will notice you have rights and powers available to you that you did not have as a normal user. You also have access to a forum where you can discuss and work with each other (Moderator's Holdover). This is also a place you can move questionable threads to take them out of view yet retain as some should not be deleted and kept for reference or when a joker joins solely to do as they will giving the Admin time to cripple their account and make returning under a different name more difficult.

I will ask that whomever takes over the role of page updates kindly refrain from using tools which make the site inaccessible from true RFC compliant browsers or forcing visitors to use the proprietary Internet Explorer. The site should always remain accessible to ALL, not just those who use IE. This pretty much rules out Front Page and a few other large packages that rely on proprietary IE specific formatting and syntax. If the site becomes unruly in FireFox I for one will no longer visit.

If you have any questions post here and I will reply as soon as I have a chance. Those willing to assume the duties of updating the site should also post here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008 12:00 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
So sorry to hear of your troubles and your diagnosis, you're doing the right thing reeling in and keeping your focus on what really matters to you. I'll do my part here at the site, within the skills I have. Thanks very much for your efforts through the years, and please keep in touch- we'll all have you in our thoughts.

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008 12:34 PM 
Virtuoso

I really don´t know much to say to you except that I will keep my fingers crossed firmly for you ! Thanks for all the effort you made in the past years.

Oliver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008 12:37 PM 
Virtuoso

i too am sorry to hear about the diagnosis . and you pulling away from the site.
your knowledge always has amazed me . i have learned and been inspired a lot.
as squid said about doing our part here on the site . i'm on board.
john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008 12:55 PM 
Virtuoso

I'm in a bit of shock and words fail me. I appreciate all you've done and wish you the best of luck. As the others have stepped up, so do I. We'll try to make you proud.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008 04:10 PM 
Virtuoso

I remember how happy I was finding this site a couple of years ago... and this is still one of the best places you can find in the internet.

Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008 04:38 PM 
Axe Slinger

so sorry to hear of your problems... i too wish you only the best and will keep my fingers crossed for you...

it has been a pleasure being a member of the board low these many years and watching/reading your rants as you railed against the IE bullies and other foes....

this has been a site from which i have learned so much more about my guitars and their maker.... and made new friends as well... i too hope it continues on in the spirit in which you intended it...

thanks so much for everything you have given to the site and i hope that i too will be one you decide to stay in contact with as you pull away from the site..

all the best my friend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008 06:49 PM 
Virtuoso

As i read your departure note i can't help recall the day i found this site and how it opened up a whole new world of knowledge and excitement for me. Still to this day i borrow the phrase (The Hunt is On) because no other words encapsule the same emotion that we all share about these guitars and the memories and music they make. Neal it was your calling and your vision that has helped us all so much thru the years. I salute you my friend and i wish you the best of luck and if you ever need anything just say the word. Rock On Brother- Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008 06:49 PM 
Virtuoso

Man ... being just a bombarded Axe Slinger, enthousiasticaly hunting down the origin of my newly found Vantage VP-7##'ish guitar, I stumbled across this thread. I instantly forgot and lost what I wanted to post, and where ... I'm not about to say goodbye, since I'm an optimist by nature, and I didn't get the chance to get to know you even a little yet. I sincerely hope that soon you'll be able to turn back on your decision!

All the best from Holland, hope to speak to you soon.
K9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008 11:47 PM 
Virtuoso

It has been quite an adventure, and being a creature of passion would explain why I loved music, guitars, motorcycles, and the out of doors to name a few. My passion for Uncle Matt's guitars falls into this category. My passion has not waned there and I doubt I will ever lose interest, but it would seem I have less and less time to spread among the things in my life.

I wanted to revamp the entire site, but the task would be more than I can devote to anything considering the sheer size this site has grown to be. I suspect it rivals any Fender or Gibson fan site on the net, possibly surpassing them in the amount of information myself and other dedicated individuals have amassed.

GD K9, if you and your co-webmaster are willing, you may be called upon to help bring the "new crew" up to speed with a little advice and maybe a little tutelage where HTML is concerned. JB has been working with Composer which should be much the same as NVU as they are both built on the same base code. I am guessing he is going to need some help though.

The new crew will have to get together and dole out duties and responsibilities as I doubt many will have the time or inclination to cover all the bases I have been. It can get to be a hefty bit of work sometimes.

Those interested should contact either myself or JB and as admins we can give you access to an area to sort things out.

Several folks have mentioned that the site format is fine, that updates can be done in it's present state and that is fine with me. I never meant to say the site should change format at all. It has worked for a very long time which I guess is a good thing.

There are still many holes to fill and many unaswered questions about our guitars, so I would thing the site will continue to grow and one day become the authority on all things Uncle Matt. This would do my heart good.