The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 13 May 2024 03:31 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Another New Member
PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010 02:10 PM 
Power Chorder

Hi, all!

I'm the proud new owner of a near mint 1980 VA900 won on eBay in July 2010: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

I've owned Fenders, Gibsons, PRS's and some of the other ususal suspects, but have never owned or played a better sounding or more flexible guitar.

Everthing seems stock on this guitar, though all of the hardware was extremly tarnish when it arived it, the switch selecter knob was missing, and one of the switches had a silver washers and nut, and the pre-amp did not work. Based on the fret wear, it looked like this guitar sat under grandma's bed for 10 years.

Used a rubber polishing wheel on a dremel for all of the hardware that was accessible, and non-toxic jewelry cleaner on the knobs.

Have a buddy at work who is an electronic whiz, and he diagnosed the pre-amp, and discovered one of the chips had gone bad. He replaced the chip with a socket and a TL082 chip. Found a OEM chip, and installed it and found the TL082 had just a little more upper mid-range, and decided I liked it better.

Currently playing this guitar through a Peavy Vypyr 30, all solid state amp simulator with some amazingly good on-board effects, (if your looking for a very credible Mutron III sound, this amp is your alternative to hauling that $400 pedal to gigs).

Back to the VA900:

This is the first guitar I've ever played that the coil split really can make the guitar sound like a single coil. There are some settings that I swear sound exactly like a Tele, (turn the pre-amp on with a slight boost and back the tone control from full on to about half way to the detent).

The VA900 came with some really grungy .009's on it, so I upgraded to a set of GHS Santana's (.0105 E string). Found the GHS's to be "too stiff" for my amateur hands, and swapped them out for a set of D'Addario XL110, (.010). The D'Addarios are easier to bend and "shake" chords, so I'm very happy with them.

I'm experimenting with an 'eNut', a non-invasive modification using what appears to be fret material with no tangs, that butts up against the nut that is supposed to help with intonation. The brass nut and string height made this installation a little time consuming as the 'smaller' eNut' did not touch the bottom of the strings, and the 'taller' one raised the strings, so a considerable amount of eNut filing was required to get to something that resembled what the installation guide recommended. I've put Earvana 's on a couple of guitars and am a believer in compensated nuts. Irreversible modificaitons to this guitar are not in the plans, so I'm hoping for the best with this.

I'm looking for a case for this guitar, but I get the impression that the extra scale length makes this guitar unique. There's a Vantage case on eBay, right now, but the seller says the interior length is 40 inches. I measure the VA900 at 41". Any ideas?

Anyhow, at 56 years old, I think I've purchased my last guitar. I know, that sounds like Lindsay Lohan talking to the judge, but...

Does any one know how many VA900 were manufactured? How many exist. Based on the infrequency these guitars appear on eBay, it seems there aren't that many left.

So, please, any and all comments and advice are encouraged.

Thanks!

Jammo

Post subject: Re: Another New Member
PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010 02:37 PM 
Virtuoso

AHAHAHAHAHA... he thinks he's finished buying guitars now because he's 56..... Jammo, meet Barry!! :rofl: Welcome here, man and as for the VA900, don't know production figures but they are a thing of beauty, eh?! Mine was gigged solidly for 25 years with no back-up; never needed it; great guitar!! All of the whingers and moaners in here ramble and rave on about their precious APII PE's, but we all know that they really want a VA900.... :wink: :D

You know there's a 12 string and a bass version, don't you?? I've played the 12 and it was a near spiritual experience... I may have to kill the Aussie who owns it... (he also has the bass and the 6 string...) :love:

Anyway, a (select) few of the lads in here have a VA900 and I'm sure they'll pop in and say "hi!".... :)

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010 02:43 PM 
Power Chorder

Hi, Corsair!

Thanks for the welcome.

Gigged for 25 years? Amazing! One thing I always say to any young people who are beginning to play, "learn 3 chords, and get on stage!". I wish I would have started at 17, and not 45. Now, I'm to old, fat and ugly to stand the scrutiny.

How have the frets held up?

I'm super paranoid about bringing this guitar out, especially without a serviceable hard shell case, and an armed guard.

Jammo

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010 03:10 PM 
Virtuoso

Corsair wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHA... he thinks he's finished buying guitars now because he's 56..... Jammo, meet Barry!! :rofl:..
You called? :D
Welcome Jammo. And be aware that GAS can, and will attack without mercy at anytime, or any age!

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010 03:17 PM 
Power Chorder

Hi, Barry!

Having purchased and released a couple of dozen guitars in a lifetime, I recogize the truth in your words.

...but I'm trying, I'm really trying to make this my last, best girlfriend.

With 4 other electrics in the house, it'll be hard to convince the wife that I can't live without some other guitar, yet, you never know.

Jammo

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010 03:59 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi,hi,hi.. Hello and Welcome!..

Ha,ha,ha:lol: Excuse me... I just read this:

jammo wrote:
I think I've purchased my last guitar.

:lol: :rofl: :lmfao:

Wait till you see a nice VA900B go by...Or a VA912 :yeah: :hyper:

Have you seen the Entertainers?

Back to the 900.

A generic guitar case will fit without any worries.

jammo wrote:
it'll be hard to convince the wife that I can't live without some other guitar, yet, you never know.

We understand Linsday... Hummm, I mean Jammo :rofl:

P. :D

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010 04:28 PM 
Power Chorder

Frenchy,

Thanks for the welcome.

Though I understand your skepticism, let me put your concerns to rest.

Fortunately, for all involved, 1) though I've tried over the years, I am no bass player, and 2) I can't sing, and wouldn't do a 12 string guitar the injustice of subjecting it to my singing, (its bad enough I subject the family to my singing, when I'm in my cups!).

Jammo

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010 05:04 PM 
Virtuoso

Hey Jammo, G'day from Aus.
Beautiful Guitars & very serious instrument, dont think I've ever seen an unhappy VA900 owner.
Have you seen the Matsumoku Aria Pro11 PE's, now there's another awesome series of guitars.
Some might say even bettert han the VA's. :D
I'll be off now, I can hear Corsair coming & I think he's armed. :o
Cheers,
Trev

Last edited by Trevor on Wed 22 Sep 2010 05:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010 05:07 PM 
Virtuoso

jammo wrote:
Thanks for the welcome.

No worries, man!!

Quote:
How have the frets held up?

The action and feel is like that of greased weasel snot; the frets are as low as is possible with no buzz on a medium action - neither low nor high. They've been dressed about 3, or maybe 4 times, in that 25 years so God bless the Matt luthiers who put really meaty fret wire in originally!! :D

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep 2010 05:20 PM 
Power Chorder

Hi, Trevor!

You've exposed me, and my prejudices.

I'm a total 25 1/2 inch scale length bigot.

I'm a fan of the "group of professional singers", as opposed to "a family" sound of chords on guitars.

Hadn't really looked at the the PE 11, but the PE140 looks right up the "double cutaway, dual humbucker" road to Bobby Weir/Ibanez Artist road to nirvana.

I'll check them out, the next time I see one!

Jammo