The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 19 Apr 2024 05:03 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012 11:37 AM 
Virtuoso

Book-matched? I don't own a epi acoustic but I have 2 westburys and a couple arias. I love my westburys. I have a maple dreadnaught W290M and a "craviola" style W5010. I love the photos of yours. I think these are Fine guitars.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012 01:52 PM 
Axe Slinger

Thank You willbo/Virtuoso!!! My Son did the pics in his bedroom at his rental house by the University. I wanted to document the Made in Japan label very distinctly and the set neck and fixed bridge ( new bone saddle) so everyone would know I was telling the truth about the instrument. Now that I have that out of way, I plan to begin eyeballing the other members fine instruments. Could someone tell me how to edit Power Chorder out from under my username, I know how to play power chords but that is not my style. I am a Flatpicker/fingerpicker and love Maj 7th chords and other Bright tone chords and the Epi has the perfect tone for these. A little change from Power Chorder would give a better description of my style when I pick up the Epi. Of Course, my style changes when I plug-in to one of my electrics. Thank You to anyone who would do this for me. Going back to the guitar now and Thank You to each and everyone who has assisted me!! You guys are really a fine group of individuals and I am proud to be a member!

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012 02:39 PM 
Virtuoso

Trust me - - I ain't no virtuoso :lol: Those are automatically generated, I do believe. You might be able to change the description along with the avatar but I'm not sure how. My avatar picture is an actual of my beloved FS-750.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012 06:38 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
oneowner36 wrote:
Again thanks to Squid Head and all others who assisted me in getting the link posted. Someone also got the link up for me on the Epiphone owners page, a Thank You must go to that person also.

That was my edit, as well- not a problem, I appreciate your contributions!

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012 06:40 PM 
Virtuoso

oneowner36 wrote:
Thank You willbo/Virtuoso!!! My Son did the pics in his bedroom at his rental house by the University. I wanted to document the Made in Japan label very distinctly and the set neck and fixed bridge ( new bone saddle) so everyone would know I was telling the truth about the instrument. Now that I have that out of way, I plan to begin eyeballing the other members fine instruments. Could someone tell me how to edit Power Chorder out from under my username, I know how to play power chords but that is not my style. I am a Flatpicker/fingerpicker and love Maj 7th chords and other Bright tone chords and the Epi has the perfect tone for these. A little change from Power Chorder would give a better description of my style when I pick up the Epi. Of Course, my style changes when I plug-in to one of my electrics. Thank You to anyone who would do this for me. Going back to the guitar now and Thank You to each and everyone who has assisted me!! You guys are really a fine group of individuals and I am proud to be a member!

The "Power Chorder" bit is automatically generated, either according to post count or length of membership...I forget. I'd love to hear some of your flatpicking/fingerpicking if you have audio or video recordings. I'm a big fan of that style (but can't play it very well, myself).

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012 09:59 PM 
Axe Slinger

Certainly glad to hear that info Guys...I suppose I will be power chorder from now on. he hehe. I did have some recordings on a cassette, not sure where they are. I have several self-compositions. Both flatpicking and fingerpicking, some very sweet chord progressions....one I have been playing for over 20 years. Starts with a hammer-on pull-off of the open low E string 2nd fret, then a quick down stroke on open A String followed by an A maj 7th chord on 1st and 2nd fret to a D maj 7th on 2nd fret then do the whole thing over for 2 bars, 4 bars whatever...you can fingerpick it, strum it then from the A maj 7th chord, slide up to a four finger chord with your middle finger on 5th fret A string ( D note) F#note on D string 4th fret 1st finger, C#note on G string 6th fret, E note on B string 5th fret, play only those four strings....a D Maj 9th chord I think? can't remember my music theory...anyway follow that chord with a barred C# min 7th ( fourth fret) slide a whole step to B min 7th Barre picking only middle four strings on all chords except the D maj 7th on 2nd fret..play high four strings, end it on the A maj 7th..slight pause and repeat the whole thing with the hammer-on pull-off on F# note, bass E string, quick open A string to A Maj 7th//// D Maj 7th // A maj 7th /////DMaj9th ?//// C# min 7 barre//// B min 7 barre//// A maj 7th// Hammer on/pull-off F# note on low E string/ A open/ back to A maj 7th and start over.the whole progression is just sweet & bright and you can play it at any tempo. I got a short solo but I would need to tab it out. Prolly need to tab the whole thing for anyone to understand....I have just played it for so long and usually play it every session. trying to get it all back clean and sweet. Four years will take a toll on your fingers, hand muscles and mind. The main thing is I don't want to go back to playing the same ole stuff....my mind and spirit is new and fresh and I want to bring that out in my own style. I am working diligently on my technique, I had acquired some really bad habits...I like picking the Delta-style blues also....you know Stairway to Heaven, Babe, I'm gonna leave you and Dust in the Wind are picked to death and I could play them note for note....guy walked by one day and said: I thought you had a radio on....don't wanna go there anymore...want to challenge myself. I have the time and everyday my technique is improving...yet, I love the flatpick too, Doc and Merle Watson are both national treasures and they are gone yet they left a huge amount of great music. Tennessee Stud...oh my I love Doc on that tune. Doc was just so cool. Then ya got Al Di Meola, John MClaughlin and Paco de Lucia, I was speaking with a guy yesterday at the music store and he saw all three together playing all Acoustic, taking turns...then playing together, I turned green with envy when he told me he saw them all together. The very 1st time I heard De Meola in the late 70's he was playing "Take Five" so fast I barely recognized the song. Still wasn't sure till the DJ said who it was and the song name. "Take Five". I think the "only" reason I did recognize it was the fact, I was trying to learn it myself and I don't sight read music very fast (self taught) I am learning "Ripple" at present by the Grateful Dead, a 1970's song that you think I would have learned a long time ago! Garcia's 1st love was Bluegrass and there is alot of Bluegrass style picking in the Intro and then Garcia does the vocals and Bob Weir does some great guitar work while Garcia is singing and strumming chords..just a great Acoustic song to learn and play with a Friend or two. Guys I could talk music and guitar all night long! I have rattled on way way too long...my apologies. see ya all

Last edited by oneowner36 on Fri 28 Sep 2012 03:51 PM, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep 2012 08:25 AM 
Virtuoso

oneowner36 wrote:
Guys I could talk music and guitar all night long! I have rattled on way way too long...my apologies. see ya all

Hell, no- keep it coming! I'm a big fan myself of many players you've mentioned, and some you didn't: Tony Rice, Mark O'Connor, and if you want to go into 'newer' territories try Michael Hedges, Don Ross, Andy McKee, Billy McLaughlin, Tim Farrell, Jesse Cook, Lawrence Juber, etc. There are just so many.

Oh, and I've archived some old recordings for forum member Corsair so they can be hosted here, if you come across those cassettes and are willing to ship them we could talk about doing the same for you & then returning the originals to you.

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep 2012 08:30 AM 
Axe Slinger

To willbo, Book-matched would have been good, yet I was trying to pull symmetrical out of my old brain. Guitars get better with age, sadly my brain does not. Thank You willbo!

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep 2012 09:10 AM 
Axe Slinger

Man Squid, I don't have a clue where they are, after my divorce in 1995, I have moved 4 times and My 1st Wife would record over some of my music. She was taking Guitar lessons for college credits and took some of the ( she thought were blank cassettes) and recorded her music over mine. I wasn't angry, I still had a recording device to do more. Now, I have nothing to record on. All of my old Vinyls for some reason ( in her mind ) belong to her. And I'm speaking about some recordings she doesn't even like. I used to listen to this Radio show, just as we went to bed, that played Celtic and other Irish recordings...oh man, she would complain..." what is that Irish "jig" stuff you have on" I'm laughing out loud just remembering those days. We get along very well and she lives in the "new" house we built in 92-93 on five acres of ground that I cleared with my bare hands, along with some heavy equipment for the big stuff and final landscaping around the House. I wanted my Son to live there and did not want to disturb or in anyway make his life difficult. I am not a materialistic person, just a roof over my head, a Motorcycle and a Guitar makes me content. My new Wife ( 10 years actually) should say 2nd wife has so much stuff, the full basement is full. Plus, she brings in all of her Plants during the winter months, so, I have to literally dig to locate my boxes of stuff. I will check out the Musicians you mentioned and I do believe we share many of the same interests! That is GOOD! See ya and I can't Thank You enough for the help you have provided me!!!!

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep 2012 09:41 AM 
Axe Slinger

Squid: I should have mentioned Tony Rice because a Friend who had a Bluegrass Band loaned me a Tony Rice instructional Video back in the 90's. He told me don't get intimidated, I loved that, yet I learned some good stuff from that video. At the time, I had a Bella Fleck and Friends recording that I loaned him, I did not mention all the "pickers" I like, actually it is difficult to name a Guitar player that I don't Respect. I'm trying to think of a Player I really like also, can't bring his name up, he did the best version of "Mr Bojangles" I have ever heard and I'm sure you know his name. On the Recording He speaks about playing guitar for Jerry Jeff Walker and how Jerry hated to play the song after so many concerts but He never did. Said they would do horrible things to song after the "show". I love his style of picking, I am going to google it as soon as I'm done, also like Ry Cooder (sp?) I have some of his stuff. Also, liked the old movie "Crossroads" if only the Karate Kid wasn't in it. Ry Cooder and Steve Vai did all the music for it, I'm sure you know and have seen it. A Friend made a recording of the scene at the "Crossraods" when the Devil says "I got this big ole white boy, up in Memphis, name Jack Butler..cuts heads every Saturday night....discourages alot of up and coming boys". Oh we loved that line and he made me an audio recording of it along with the gig going down at the end with Steve Vai playing Jack Butler. Got to google " Mr. Bojangles" and find the name of that Guitar player...been listening to him since 74-75. see ya my Friend

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next