The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 09:14 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2012 07:23 AM 
Axe Slinger

A Reply to GD K9, this local Pawn shop had a Vantage...that was a very fine looking solid body dark natural finish. It had big wings on the Headstock with soapbox style covered pups (two) had 2 string C clamps ( I sorry of my lack of knowledge of Electric Guitars) over the strings right at the nut. The neck was a bolt-on with a chrome cover saying S101 on it. Someone had done some very nice modifications to this Vantage....if indeed it was a real Vantage...I came home and did a search on this Vantage....it was priced for around $150.00....I was seriously considering buying it....went back a few days later...it was sold...gone....I missed my chance...I am telling you Friends this Pawn Shop has a huge collection of Guitars and a big turnover...the Guitar is there one day...gone the next! I have been looking for a semi-hollow body for awhile now. I keep checking at this Pawn shop. this Epiphone Ft - 160/165 ( I can't remember) but it is like the one in the Epiphone Catalog on this site and I saw it from the side and thought it was a Guitar just like mine. This guitar was like brand-new mint condition exact same natural spruce top and rosewood back and sides...everything just like mine only not a Dreadnaught (sp?) style. I know this Guitar came from my Relative's Music Store...I think they were the exclusive Gibson authorized dealer in our rural area and someone had stole this guitar from the original owner...I just don't believe the owner would Pawn it. I did want this Vantage GD K9. I just did not have enough knowledge at the time to make the buy. Since finding this site ( again, a huge Thank You to the guys who did the work) I have searched for a semi-hollow body Matsumoku make six string for months now....Gibson, their prices have doubled, since my last looks (2001) what's up with them?? And Like a reply to this post...I think they have driven the once fine name Epiphone into the Ground....they bought em out in the 1st place...so, they would not have to deal with Epiphone. I like Vantage Guitars....and I'm may not be worthy to own your Vantage GD K9...mainly because I'm a flatpicker and a jazz lover...I play so many different styles...like I said earlier....my neck is fast and smooth...Tony Rice or Al de Miola (sp?) would like the set-up my Friend did many years ago. Plus, the Maj 7th's and other bright chords sound really good coming out of it.. the world of Guitar has changed so much...and I have not kept up...someone tell my the best Guitar magazine to read and maybe my frugal mind will subscribe....just to try and catch-up and stay current. To GD K9, I very well may have seen a Matsumoku made Vantage, yet I think it was a custom built Guitar...the S101 had me confused....as did the big Wings on the headstock. I Would like to know more about your Vantage!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2012 03:24 PM 
Axe Slinger

A question Friends. Where do I post the pics of my Epiphone Guitar???? As soon as my Son sends them to me I will post them or a link to them. Someone please tell me the protocol for Posting Epiphone Acoustic Pics. We took several! I think we have a thorough visual documentation of the Instrument. I spent two hours at a Music store showing the Epiphone and another Vintage Guitar to the owner...I told him what I was doing and he wanted to eyeball them also. My Son finally gave me a call and now I am patiently waiting for the Pics to arrive on this laptop....So, I need directions on where to post the pics when they arrive....

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2012 04:35 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
oneowner36 wrote:
A question Friends. Where do I post the pics of my Epiphone Guitar???? As soon as my Son sends them to me I will post them or a link to them. Someone please tell me the protocol for Posting Epiphone Acoustic Pics. We took several! I think we have a thorough visual documentation of the Instrument. I spent two hours at a Music store showing the Epiphone and another Vintage Guitar to the owner...I told him what I was doing and he wanted to eyeball them also. My Son finally gave me a call and now I am patiently waiting for the Pics to arrive on this laptop....So, I need directions on where to post the pics when they arrive....

This site can host small pictures, or you can link them in your post from a free photo-hosting site ( like http://imageshack.us/ or similar). If you have any problems or hesitation, you can e-mail them to me or probably lots of other people here & we'd be happy to find a host for the pics & link them for you.

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2012 05:47 PM 
Axe Slinger

Squid Head....I will email them to you. my Son created an imgur.com file, yet when I emailed them to my IP email address the link was not there. Have some good pics...so if you will help me out I will fwd the email to you. send me a direct message or whatever it's called and I will reply. BTW Thank You!!!

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2012 06:26 PM 
Axe Slinger

Try this link to the pics of my Epiphone FT-350 El Dorado purchased new in Oct. 1976. oneowner 36
imgur.com/a/yOqbe#0

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2012 06:48 PM 
Axe Slinger

It works for me! Anyone that would kindly post them on the Epiphone (made in Japan ) site (this site only)... or any that is applicable for this site only...their efforts would be greatly appreciated. Especially Squid Head! A Special Thank You must go to Squid Head!!!! Also, to anyone else who will assist me on getting the pics on this site. Because this is where they belong and this is where I want them viewed....I have stories of each and every ding and scratch I will gladly share.

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2012 07:18 PM 
Virtuoso

oneowner36 wrote:
A Reply to GD K9, this local Pawn shop had a Vantage...!

Most of the characteristcs you mentioned, in my opinion, are pointing to a Samick Korea made Vantage. The dark natural finish puzzles me though ... S101 doesn't ring any bells here, and wings on the headstock?? I've seen them on Dean's, but never on a Vantage. If it was a Korean Vantage, the price seems fair, but don't loose any sleep about missing that one.
oneowner36 wrote:
I Would like to know more about your Vantage!!!

Which one? There's plenty of info in the Vantage section of the Forum (all categorized, thanks to Mozart). I own some 25 Vantage's, ranging from classical acoustic to solid neck-thru bass guitar. Given your previous comments, I think you'll be interrested in the VSH-455 (search this forum or google).

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2012 09:23 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
oneowner36 wrote:
It works for me! Anyone that would kindly post them on the Epiphone (made in Japan ) site (this site only)... or any that is applicable for this site only...their efforts would be greatly appreciated. Especially Squid Head! A Special Thank You must go to Squid Head!!!! Also, to anyone else who will assist me on getting the pics on this site. Because this is where they belong and this is where I want them viewed....I have stories of each and every ding and scratch I will gladly share.

This link is working for me:

http://imgur.com/a/yOqbe#0

I'll put a message up to the other moderators and see what the best way is to have them added to our model/spec pages. Thanks so much for the contribution!

je

P.S. the case to my 1974 Gibson Les Paul 55 was painted with 'shrooms and rainbows, must have been a running theme at the time. :roll: :loon: :toopid:

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012 08:27 AM 
Axe Slinger

Thank You Squid Head!! You have been very, very helpful and kind to me and I sincerely appreciate it!

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012 09:13 AM 
Axe Slinger

In the pics I tried to show the knot like characteristics in the grain of the wood on the shoulders of the Epi. They seem to be EXACTLY opposite each other. what is the word, I'm wanting to use, it is terrible to get old. I need a spell check. Yet, I always thought it was a cool characteristic of the wood grain and the use of it by the Craftsman who built the Epi. Again thanks to Squid Head and all others who assisted me in getting the link posted. Someone also got the link up for me on the Epiphone owners page, a Thank You must go to that person also. Now when I find the 1976 literature I have in a box "somewhere" I will have contributed all I have. My Wife has more "stuff" than I do and man I do not wish to disturb/break anything that belongs to her. My "tantrums" pale in comparison to her's. So, I am waiting until she can assist me in looking for this box of stuff I cannot find. BTW, the Airbrushed back of the original case was done by a Friend who begged me to allow him to do it. I was pleasantly pleased with the results. The one-off Custom Airbrushing was done around 1980/1981. On my suggestion, he used the last four bars of a very Famous song on the neck part of the case. I'm not sure if it is correct yet I think it is. I think I checked to make sure back then, though it has been a long time ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next