The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 02:06 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2012 08:18 PM 
Axe Slinger

I was on a Jazz guitar site today. Very, Very good website. They listed guitars that are very good Jazz guitars and highly prized and sought after. Wonder why they mentioned the Aria Pro ll "Herb Ellis Model" ??? Especially the ones made during the mid 1970's to early 80's as highly sought after Jazz guitars that were very well made and very hard to come by!!!! I bet there are many individuals on this site that can very easily testify as to why they are!!! I just thought I would mention that for the Aria Pro ll owners and all members of this site. This guitar was mentioned along side of some pretty expensive Guitars, especially the Gibson Super 400...$9,000.00 - $40,000.00 Guitar!!!!! That is some pretty good company to be mentioned along side and a pretty hefty price to pay even for some big-time collectors!!!

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012 07:10 PM 
Virtuoso

If I'd find one of these Herb Ellis's at a fair price, (say around 500 Euro's), I'd buy her right away. Great guitar, but Herb didn't touch it, not as far as I'm concerned. And even if he did, would it change the instrument?

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2012 05:04 PM 
Axe Slinger

GD K9 Probably wouldn't change a thing, you are correct! I was just pointing out the company the Aria Pro ll is in. As probably everyone on this site already knew! There are alot of Aria Pro ll models and this particular Sig. model is just an example of how well regarded the Aria Pro ll is. I think alot of this Jazz site and respect their opinions and all I wanted to do was share the info with the members who do own this instrument. I would never buy a Signature model Guitar of any Brand, as I know many great Guitarist's that never got the opportunity to be "famous" so-to-speak. The guitar company's seem to think if they can get an endorsement from a "famous, semi-famous" Musician that it will generate more sales. I took a few Marketing classes in college and do know a little bit about marketing strategies in the old days...I have no Idea what is being taught to present day students. Same as Journalism majors...in the old days you were taught to report the Facts: the who, what, where and when...not place your own personal opinions in the "news". Now, that is all you hear/see...sensationalism....yellow press or whatever term you wish to use. BTW, I have learned many things from this site and admire many of the members and respect each and everyone's right to their own opinion. My intent was to only state how well-regarded the Matsumoku made instruments are and I thought to be mentioned along with a guitar that can bring up to $40k is pretty good company!!!

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2012 05:38 PM 
Axe Slinger

Also they mentioned only two well known guitarist's who do own the Gibson 400.
Scotty Moore and Ronnie Wood.
Being home bound I read just about everything I can get my hands on and I had never even heard of a Gibson super 400 guitar until studying Jazz guitar on this Free Website. There is alot of stuff I do not know and Electric Guitars was never a big item to me. Plus, all the buzz about the British invasion in the 60's, IMHO, they were just bringing it back home! Music that our racist Radio stations would not play. Look at all the covers Led Zep did. All the Chicago Blues guitarist's were the originators of the sound and the lyrics. the brits just got the air-play. Hendrix had to move to London to even be recognized. Now, he is considered one of the best guitarist's ever, yet he stole a lot of licks from Albert King. You guys know what I'm talking about. There are very few completely "original" Musicians. All were influenced by a previous player. Once a lick is out there it is public property and all is welcome to copy it note for note or add their own little...sometimes very subtle differences.... the Bo Diddley rhythm is not "original" as we all know....yet he tried to say it was....I'm prolly on the wrong forum for this, I am sorry and apologize.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2012 07:30 PM 
Virtuoso

You are SO right, there's only a couple of tones and chords around, and all plausible combinations have been tried. There's still a few that's trying new things with them. (luckily!) Look at Ed Sheeran. he's mixing rap, folk, rock and pop, and I love him for that!

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012 11:17 AM 
Axe Slinger

GD K9: You are a very knowledgeable individual and I have learned a great deal from your Post's. Thank You! I have not seen any "Squid Head" post's recently and I very much admire his knowledge and Talents. Been wanting to tell him about my 1st visit to a "yard sale". This was actually a Barn Sale and this guy had an old analog recording studio...had everything and I knew very little about most of it. I did purchase a Pioneer Reel to Reel 4 track 2 channel model RT 909 for 50 bucks....it is in excellent condition and works like "new", lady threw in an old Ampex 602 portable Radio Station in a suitcase. My good Friend told me it was junk, yet it was free! Always wanted to drive around and broadcast Music I had put together along with a couple Buds, prolly would have ended up paying a large fine or in the "jailhouse" though! "Squid" must be a busy man at present?