The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 16 Apr 2024 06:13 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: SB bridges
PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011 02:12 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi all - I'm making a retrofit replacement brass SB 16mm bridge this summer, so he opportunity to make spares for people including full units is possible. Let me know what interest is out there, as I may invest more in this project if people want them. All feedback and discussion on design welcome.

Aria don't offer these as for-sale items, and this isn't a commercial venture so I hope this post isn't a problem! :)

Post subject: Re: SB bridges
PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011 07:54 AM 
Virtuoso

Based on his posts at the Project Guitar Forum, Prostheta does very good work. I would get one from him if I had the need. I don't have an SB in though.

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011 11:37 AM 
Virtuoso

Thank you for the gracious compliment! I don't claim to be any kind of artisan however....more of a rabid perfectionist! :toopid:

PostPosted: Sun 22 May 2011 03:55 AM 
Virtuoso

Preliminary bridge design with verified measurements from Pete (thanks!).

The only measurements that may differ from the "actual" bridge are the string retention keyhole lengths (~1mm) and saddle adjustment screw positionings. I hope to complete a working prototype for verification in July/August. Despite the differing measurements as mentioned this will be a drop-in retrofit. Any variations in bridge dimensions (four/five screw holes is one) are open to discussion of course.

Specific alterations to the original will include a recessed earthing solder tag underneath the baseplate and countersunk steel bolts to secure the horizontal member (I keep wanting to use the word "gantry" today because it sounds awesome) to the baseplate.

Alloy composition of the bridge is mainly going to be determined by the availability of stock in feasible quantities here in Finland. I doubt I can afford to get Luvata OY to make me specific bar stock! The two main compositions on the table right now are "free cutting brass" (C36000: 60-63% Cu, 2.5-3.7% Pb, >0.35% Fe, rem. Zn) as used by manufacturers such as Hipshot and common "yellow" brass (C27000: 63-68.5% Cu, <0.1% Pb, <0.1% Fe, rem. Zn) which many horn players will tell you is the most "musical" brass (whilst they spend hours polishing their horns).

I plan on looking into finishes for bridges at a later date, as the focus is on a prototype right now. First port of call would of course be the lacquer finish, followed by powder coating chrome, black n gold.

:hyper:

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul 2012 06:38 PM 
Power Chorder

Hi - any possiblity of making an 18mm spacing (SB-R60 etc) bridge?

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul 2012 02:16 AM 
Virtuoso

Not immediately, I am afraid. Access to the machine shop is very limited but this may change. I would be happy to, were I able :-)

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2013 02:43 AM 
Gallery Friend

Prostheta wrote:
Hi all - I'm making a retrofit replacement brass SB 16mm bridge this summer, so he opportunity to make spares for people including full units is possible. Let me know what interest is out there, as I may invest more in this project if people want them. All feedback and discussion on design welcome.

Aria don't offer these as for-sale items, and this isn't a commercial venture so I hope this post isn't a problem! :)

Hi prostheta, do you still make such bridges ?
I'm merely looking for a brass with 16mm string spacing (64 mm x 74 mm) for my SB 600 (or SB 700 I don't remember).
I love this bass since I got it in 1990.

edit : the bass was made in 1981