The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:10 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug 2006 07:42 AM 
Virtuoso

I was posting about the discrepancies in the specs. The year I of the catalog I don't doubt.

I have seen a mahogany VP and VS as well. Neck and Body both. I know the fellow that owns them well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug 2006 01:41 AM 
Virtuoso

Wow, it has certainly generated some discussion already! But I didn't scan it in; I wouldn't know where to start, so I just sent it to jbyear1 and he did the necessary - good on ya, mate! I would just like to say that I have owned and played a myriad of guitars, including "the biggies", and have yet to find one that I like better than my Vantage, both to play and just to look at! Of all the things that I own, only 2 would I never part with, my family heirloom shotgun, and my Vantage. They will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands, to paraphrase Charlton Heston!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug 2006 06:52 AM 
Virtuoso

Can you post pics of the shotgun? :lol:

Post subject: I FOUND IT!!!!
PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec 2006 03:09 PM 
Power Chorder

Awesome! I finally found a picture in print of my bass. I have a VA900B! I bought it new back around 80-81 from Chuck Levin's Music just outside Washington DC. I had been on the road for about 6 months with a "Rick" 4001 Fireglo at that point and bought the VA900B to replace it --- I was glad I did! The Vantage ran circles around the Rick (and, I suspect, most other mass produced basses produced at that time, and maybe even since!). Levin's had my VA900B in a showcase with some other high end basses. Surprisingly, aside from the receipt that they jotted the model number on (and the price!), they didn't give me a manual or anything as a keepsake. I remember carrying it out the door without even having a case to fit it (there apparently weren't many long scales at that point). I was on cloud nine! Ran home and ordered a custom flight case for it right away.

After all these years, I thought it was a 900 something, but didn't have the original receipt or any way of verifying it. It's great to finally have the mystery solved! I feel like someone who has had amnesia all these years and finally remembered who I am.

THANK YOU Corsair!

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec 2006 09:10 PM 
Virtuoso

No worries, mate; I'm just glad it's being looked at by interested - and interesting - people. I always quite fancied having a 900B as a matching pair as I played bass as a hired gun in Sydney and Melbourne in the late 70's/early 80's; I'll assume that is is a very high end instrument as my 900 has a build quality second to none. As an example, even the back plate screws screw into metal inserts, not the wood. I've since found out there was a 12 string as well; and what a trio that would be to own!! :love: :D

Post subject: Yes, nice details
PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec 2006 09:42 PM 
Power Chorder

Yes, and even the truss rod cover is real wood. Typically they're plastic or similar. There really seems to have been a lot of quality and attention to detail that went into the Vantage VA900B. I have no regrets and I'm glad, with the exception of the pickup toggle switch on the upper horn, I haven't had to replace a thing.

I saw one in a local music shop a couple years ago that someone had replaced the creme pickups with black ones. Aside from the fact that it didn't look nearly as nice, I couldn't help but think it made the value go down the drain. The store had a price of $300 USD on it. How sad.

It's a shame these basses aren't more highly valued and respected. At least those of us who own them can appreciate the magnificent quality and fascinating history behind them. I would never think of getting rid of mine.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec 2006 07:53 PM 
Virtuoso

Oh, I really believe that they WILL increase in value when the average player out there realises that there are much better alternatives to the biggies at much more affordable prices. I mean, what would you rather own; a 79 Strat or a 79 Vantage/Westone/Aria/Skylark? The only trouble with that, of course, is that then there is a good chance that our beloved Matts will become wall art, and that, my friends, would be a tragedy! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep 2008 06:19 PM 
Virtuoso

Got me a VW150 acoustic dreadnought, like the one from your catalogue :P I'll let you know, when she comes in, whether she'll kick my Ibanez VS100NT out!
(tough one to beat: http://www.guitardir.com/specs.php?Node ... &Context=3))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep 2008 11:11 PM 
Virtuoso

I hate you!! :D but it'll be an interesting comparison, though... I await with bated breath! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2008 05:22 AM 
Virtuoso

The Ibanez is gone. Although both guitars were clearly 'inspired' by the same original, they are very different. The (much havier) Ibanez clearly had a higher projection, almost jumbo-like, but the VW sounds much clearer, and is easier to handle. And ... it's a Jap Vantage :wink:
When I feel like making lots of noise, I'll just plug in a solid body Vantage.

I got another from the same catalogue pages coming in now:
The VC-150 classical. Very curious as to what that one is like ...