The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 03:49 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2006 12:48 AM 
Axe Slinger

Nice one Crusty, great to know i can forget about the plate altogether. Hopefully i'll be good to go in no time!

Coilineese...like it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan 2007 06:23 AM 
Axe Slinger

Despite all your wonderful help, I have not been able to improve my 1803T due to health and time issues, so it is still in the condition seen on the photos in this thread.

Thanks again for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 14 Apr 2008 06:48 PM 
Power Chorder

Tezza wrote:
Despite all your wonderful help, I have not been able to improve my 1803T due to health and time issues, so it is still in the condition seen on the photos in this thread.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi Tezza I am also in Germany .. can I be of any assistence toyou in any way ? I have recently repaired a hollow body .... greetings

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar 2009 08:44 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hello again. Long time no speak!

So the good news is i still have the 1803T, the bad news is i havent got working on it yet. Until last night, that is. I felt the urge to bite the bullet and give it a go, but i hate to admit it, my first foray into soldering wasn't too successful :(

After such a long break, i reread all the great info you guys gave me and located the two ends of the super thin wire on each pickup, and understanding what to do suddenly seems child's play. Unfortunately, the one pickup that had 1cm of the start wind showing now has 1mm, and is impossible to solder to anything. So as it was wrecked anyway, i started unwinding that thing. 30 minutes and 3 breaks of wire later, i gave up.

I continued trying to solder the other 2 pickups, but either my technique SUCKS (99.9% probability this is the correct answer!) or soldering super thin wire like this is an absolute PITA.

Anyway, i wanted to let you all know i havent forgotten about this project and WILL get tis guitar going. I suppose on the plus side, 24 hours ago i'd never used a soldering iron, now i can use one, just badly ;)

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar 2009 06:04 PM 
Virtuoso

Tezza, don't worry about it ... I grab the soldering iron every now and again (sometimes wires do come loose, one has to do SOMETHING :wink: ), and between holding the wire in place and worrying about 'frying' the switch, or pot, or whatever it is, there's a moment you think: 'pull it back NOW!'. You will develop a feeling for that moment, after a couple of -still- loose wires and after that, a few fried parts :D
As for the sanding/refinishing job: the best of luck to you! I'm scared sh*tless to take on an adventure like that! Hope it works out, it's a fine looking guitar.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar 2009 03:52 AM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks for the encouragement mate! I can't wait for the body job, never done anything like it before but i'm arty and love DIY, so i will enjoy that part. It's all this electronic work that's got me dazed, confused and talentless :D

I think i fried another of the original pickups last night.... i just cant seem to get a good joint with that super thin wire, it's too fragile. I think my next step is to try to put 3 different pickups in there to start with, just to see if/how the electrics shape up.

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar 2009 03:11 PM 
Axe Slinger

Hi again,

Well excuse me while i let out a small whoop and do a mini leap of joy ... i have made my first inroads into guitar repairs :)
Back a year or so when i was debating fidlding with those scary looking vintage pickups, i bought a cheap set of 3 single coils 2nd had off schmeebay, paid a tenner i think. Seller reckoned they were off a cort or sth, thats irrelevant for me (for now).

After the disappointment of losing the start winds of the vintage pups, and seeing my first soldering attempts fail spectacularly after waiting so long to try, i thought it was time to try fit the modern single coils. It's not one for you purists i'm afraid, but i'm just happy at the outcome today: All three pickups work, and the two original switches likewise. The volume works (i know the knobs arent the witch hat orginals), the only thing that doesnt is the tone knob. That doesnt surprise me as the capacitor (think thats what it was called, the green thing) had detatched on one side. i tried to solder it back on but it clearly either hasnt work or was already fried. Anyway, here's how it looks today. Not for the pure fan, but i never thought i'd see the day when i got the electrics almost working 100% on it. To this end, i have to say a big thanks to X189player and Crusty for the amazing early info and advice they gave me. Will i keep it like this? dunno, for now i left the white pup caps off coz i like the black look. i've seen others put white capped coils in these vintage guitars and they dont look right to my eyes. I will definitely do the body some time, may try fixing that tone poti too.

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar 2009 05:54 PM 
Virtuoso

Nice guitar Tezza, I like the "black look" on the pickups too.
For the tone"cap", you can get them at any Radio Shack (2... for $1.19), or a pack of 'em (100 assorted caps) for around $2.00!
If you want a brighted tone, just use a smaller value "cap" (.022,..versus a .047 "normal" cap).
If you refinish the body...what color would you paint (or STAIN) it?
Good Luck,
Norm

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar 2009 11:52 PM 
Virtuoso

Jorg like. :D

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar 2009 12:20 PM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks guys :) At least the black pickups match the dark fingerboard, black knobs, and blacked chewed-up tremelo arm end :)

Norm, at the start of this thread i'd considered painting it (with carspray, as recommended) but i think i will end up staining it. I've stained many things while renovating my house and i like the warm wooden glow you can achieve, so that's probably the quickest and cheapest way to get it looking half-decent again. If i go for some dark honey amber or sth, it will sort of match the headstock, which may balance it up nicely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next