The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Wed 17 Apr 2024 08:20 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb 2019 11:25 AM 
Virtuoso

On Fleabay Article #372597537918.

Not cheap at the "Buy Now" price but says "Make Offer"

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb 2019 06:00 PM 
Virtuoso

:rofl:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb 2019 09:43 PM 
Virtuoso

I got his offer right here! :wink:

But holy cr@p '45 pups are getting beyond pricey now eh?

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb 2019 09:03 AM 
Virtuoso

I personally don't need these (yet :wink: ), but what would be "considered" a fair price for any MMK's?

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb 2019 12:41 PM 
Virtuoso

A "fair" price is largely subjective and of course if you're the buyer you want it as cheaply as possible! :lol:

USD$120/pair is OK I guess if money is not an issue (add another 30%+ for CAD$ :evil: ) USD$60 a pup is certainly cheaper than the $150-180 asking prices on the rest of that eBay page.

There was a time when you could find these pups at around $40-50/pair on eBay, and even cheaper in places like Kijiji and Craig's List. But as we've commented many times before both on this site and in the Westone Forums, "the word is out" on the quality of the MMK line of pups, the 45's in particular, and the prices continue to go higher.

The best answer is, "whatever you can afford" depending on how badly you need/want it. :dunno:

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2019 03:46 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hallo everbody,

I came across the same pair of mmk's when I was looking for replacement pubs for my fs-750. I found the asking price a little bit to steep, especially if you consider that I bought a single mmk-45 for €30,- a few months before.
But having said that, I just paid €184,- including shipping for a pair of mmk-75's. I have bought a Vantage VS-650 in the past for that same amount. So why spending that kind of money?
First reason is the hope that those are the closest thing I'm gonna get to make the guitar sound like it should sound. I don't think I'm ever gonna find the original MH-1's.
Second reason is the price of a new set of pubs. A guitar like the FS-750 deserves a nice pair of quality pickups and the sets I looked at where all over the €200,- pricepoint.
Third reason is that if I ever have to sell the guitar, it is almost certainly gonna be bought by someone who knows and loves Mats' guitars. He or she will appreciate the effort.

So I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with Barry, but just being long winded about it.

@Pete: I don't where you live in Germany, but if you are ever in the neighborhood of Eindhoven (NL) with some time on your hands, you're welcome to visit me and my quite extensive Mats' collection.

Rob.