The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 03:52 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Va-900 - Highly modded!
PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun 2020 09:23 AM 
Virtuoso

I have been watching this entry for some time (like 4 months), and today was able to determine exactly what model it is - the TOP model in the VA series - thanks to fox54!

Unfortunately, the axe has been totally messed up with (condition itself is near mint) with totally revised electrics :-? - EMG's (81 and 85 Kerry King active/passive setup), original boost circuit and coil-split switches removed (claims to still have the switches - somewhere). He wants WAY too much for it (I'm sure he wants to recover the conversion costs...but...). With original case.

I wrote him again as he asked if I was interested (who, ME :drool: ?), giving him a bit of history and the results of modifying but then asking collector prices and what I paid for my near mint Thunder. I wanit, but not for a grand! The EMG's are a fairly good (many say this setup is GREAT) and I listened to some sound bits thru a DARN good set of speakers, so I have to agree, but... in a vintage VANTAGE?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 15-74-3147

He has replied asking what I would offer. Stay tuned.

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun 2020 04:07 PM 
Virtuoso

Frankly, Peter, unless he is including the original parts - pickups, switches and knobs - I'd be giving this a swerve. Unless the price is really sharp, but definitely not at €999; as you say he's asking collector grade prices for a modded instrument....

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun 2020 04:29 PM 
Virtuoso

Nah, emg's suck unless you're into 90's metal.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun 2020 07:23 AM 
Virtuoso

I'm really thinking about this one for my Son, who currently plays HEAVY stuff (Death Metal) altho he's best with Van Halen style. I'm getting a bit tired of "Ahhh...Can I borrow your Westone while ...bla, bla, bla" every time I talk to him :rofl: ! I've gotten the dude down to half of what he listed, but I may try to suggest him to take out the EMG's and the PA2 boost. I'd then just try to restore it as close to original as possible.

I can use the booster from my Westone Thunder xx to build a replacement (hopefully). Wiring diagrams are available on the site.

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun 2020 08:30 AM 
Virtuoso

I've got a couple of PCBs that are the boost circuit from a Westone Paduak, if that's any help...

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun 2020 09:21 AM 
Virtuoso

ExFender wrote:
but I may try to suggest him to take out the EMG's and the PA2 boost. I'd then just try to restore it as close to original as possible.

I can use the booster from my Westone Thunder xx to build a replacement (hopefully). Wiring diagrams are available on the site.

That is EXACTLY what I was going to say. That would be the only way I'd buy it.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun 2020 09:41 AM 
Virtuoso

Corsair wrote:
I've got a couple of PCBs that are the boost circuit from a Westone Paduak, if that's any help...

I just might take you up on it, John. I just messaged the guy with the suggestion about removing the PU's and electronics. Let's see what transpires.

He's had the thing advertised for the past 8 months and he is already almost to the point of letting it go for half of the listing price - OR I'll just go ahead and buy it and sell the KJK setup...

Pete

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun 2020 10:35 AM 
Virtuoso

Sounds like you're close to getting something useful Pete.

I've ranted many times here and on Westone forums against active EMG's, especially in a Mats guitar. So I'm in agreement about losing those things toute de suite if not quicker!

You may be on the right track buying as is and dumping the electronics. Some metal head would love 'em!