The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 03:19 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug 2022 11:47 AM 
Gallery Friend

Hello everyone.

I have bought an Aria 1679 Classical guitar is seems to have serial number 00088. It also has a number inside towards the headstock of 554038 7

It says on the Label "Aria" " Construccion artistica de Guitarra" "Japan"

I bought the guitar for £20 in a antique shop in the UK, so not much money was spent on it.

Does anyone know anything about it? because the model number does not fit in with the usual Aria model numbers. There is a Rose Morris catalogue on the web with this model in but there are no prices and it lacks detail but the Catalogue is from 1970.

Any information would be brilliant, what model is it equivalent to in their range?

I can post some photos if you like.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug 2022 11:18 PM 
Virtuoso

If the catalog you found your guitar in is from 1970, that is as good as dating for the manufacture date gets. There was no system in the serial numbers Aria used at this time.

The Rose Morris catalog has all the information you need. Given that John Pearse was teaching guitar... and according to the catalog "recommending" the 1695 model, my guess is that this is the student line-up from Aria.

For the value you can make up your mind what it's worth to you... or check your favorite auction sites to see what it's worth to others.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2022 10:44 AM 
Gallery Friend

Thank you Wutz.

I am wondering if I could make a jump to thinking the Rose Morris guitars are the same as the 70s range of Aria guitars and rebadged? if so which would be the best comparison guitar?

The 70s Aria classical guitars seem to run AC-10, AC-15, AC-20, AC-30, AC-40 and AC-50.
and/ or A559, A560, A553, A554, A555, A556, A557, A558, A545F, A549, A550, A551, A552, A561

Some people say that the Rose Morris classicals are made in the Matsumoku factory; there is someone selling a Rose Morris 1674 aria guitar specifically saying it was made in the Matsumoku factory, how can they know?

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2022 10:05 PM 
Virtuoso

I think you'll find after reading enough listings that Matsumoku also made toasters and floor jacks. :rofl:

It is a gray area when Matsumoku first joined forces with Shiro Aria Co. Even the 70s Aria acoustics were much better than those made in the 60s. Better quality cured woods for one thing. The first tended to warp in more humid locations such as the US.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug 2022 03:19 PM 
Gallery Friend

Crusty wrote:
I think you'll find after reading enough listings that Matsumoku also made toasters and floor jacks. :rofl:

It is a gray area when Matsumoku first joined forces with Shiro Aria Co. Even the 70s Aria acoustics were much better than those made in the 60s. Better quality cured woods for one thing. The first tended to warp in more humid locations such as the US.

Yes I do agree with you.

The Aria I own is in the 1970 UK Rose Morris catalogue

https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/ro ... 970_12.php

Is it a Aria made guitar or Matsumoko Guitar?

Does it matter? I guess not, but it is interesting to try and find out!

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug 2022 03:27 PM 
Virtuoso

After the first trip Shiro Arai made to the US he found out that the climate difference caused the guitars to warp and crack. When He returned to Japan he consulted top notch Japanese luthiers about the issues and the results were much better guitars in the 70s. Even if it isn't an Uncle Matt I suspect it is a sweet guitar regardless.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug 2022 09:17 AM 
Virtuoso

GrahamB wrote:
Thank you Wutz.

I am wondering if I could make a jump to thinking the Rose Morris guitars are the same as the 70s range of Aria guitars and rebadged? if so which would be the best comparison guitar?
Some people say that the Rose Morris classicals are made in the Matsumoku factory; there is someone selling a Rose Morris 1674 aria guitar specifically saying it was made in the Matsumoku factory, how can they know?

I would not make the jump to think that everything Rose Morris sold with their own brand was an Aria rebadged... they might have done that, but there were quite a number of choice OEM manufacturers in Japan and elsewhere that could have been subcontracted.

For the classical guitar it will be even more difficult to figure out the factory (compared to an electrical guitar). All OEMs copied the same models, construction and hardware. There is simply no standout feature for most of the line-ups.